How do I not give away too much beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
When I have home brew, I always find a way to share it. And that's all good, until I look at my stash and I'm about all out.

I've found a couple tricks on my own to help keep stock longer. I'll bottle some in Guinness bottles, which are 11.2 oz, instead of 12. I'll give out a 4-pack instead of a 6-pack.

Any other good ideas? I would think the ultimate solution is to brew more beer, but SWMBO has my schedule locked down, leaving few opportunities for new stock.

Solution: stop telling people that you homebrew! :)

Aside from making more beer there really is no other solution than to stop giving out so many. I'll bring a friend ONE 12 oz bottle of a new batch only if I think the batch came out awesome.

Better solution: brew more beer.

I give away 12 packs like it's my job, and I still have 20 gallons in the keezer, 15+ cases in storage and 20 gallons fermenting.

Besides brewing more beer, i'd say just limit the free stuff to your best friends/family or the people you know who seem to be into beer as much as you are. Nothing worse than giving it out to people who would rather be drinking Miller lite anyways. I usually just invite two or three of my closest friends over for a BBQ after each new batch is ready. They are respectful and don't chug a 12 pack or anything. You wanna drink my beer, you gotta come to me. I'd rather enjoy with them anyways. There's really no fun in just giving someone a 6 pack at work and saying, "See you next month!!" Unless of course they brew too and you're trading sixers or something. We're not running a charity here.

Hold "tastings" instead of "parties". Inform anyone that is interested that you are now doing craft beer tastings.

Buy small 4oz coke glasses available in most thrift stores or order some fancy ones online. You can get a nice 3 oz pour with an oz. for head so 18 people can participate. Each participant will be bring 1-6 pack of craft, micro, or homebrew beer AND a small snack to pass.

Everyone is happy.

I usually hand out 2 bottles at the most. As a matter of fact I'll be giving my brother in law 2 bottles of my coveted Bourbon Stout (my stock is getting low and it just keeps getting better the longer it ages) for his birthday...along with some commercial brews I'll grab this weekend in San Diego.

I very seldom give out beer.
I usually do 10 gal batches instaed of 5, and keg them all. I bottle a very few to send to out of state buddys.
That being said, We often have people over, and we dring a lot of my homebrew, but it's all done on premisis. Mostly

Back