how do i mask high alcohol tasting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipole

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial stout with OG of 1.109. I thought I got stuck around 1.045ish but it turned out I just didn't know how to use my brand new refractometer. So I added some high gravity yeast in an effort to get it to 1.035ish but....well the second yeast addition worked too well and got me down to 1.009. I know it tastes alcoholy because there is a lot of alcohol in there but it's there anything I can do to mute the after taste? Was thinking oak chips and a couple months of aging, any other suggestions?

with an alcohol % that high and a low F.G. like that even time probably wont mellow out too much, maybe blending with another beer might help.

I think the best way to mask such flavors is to drink 3 or 4 while pinching your nose closed. I will then promise you that every beer after that will taste better.

alane1 said:
with an alcohol % that high and a low F.G. like that even time probably wont mellow out too much, maybe blending with another beer might help.

+1 to blending with a more we'll behaved stout. I use a Belgium stout yeast in I half of a 10 gallon brew and I needed every once of the 1056 stout to balance it out - separately they both were C- beers, together they mustered a solid B.

I brewed an imperial stout with OG of 1.109. I thought I got stuck around 1.045ish but it turned out I just didn't know how to use my brand new refractometer. So I added some high gravity yeast in an effort to get it to 1.035ish but....well the second yeast addition worked too well and got me down to 1.009. I know it tastes alcoholy because there is a lot of alcohol in there but it's there anything I can do to mute the after taste? Was thinking oak chips and a couple months of aging, any other suggestions?

You could try a bench trial with lactose. Sweetness tends to hide alcohol. This would make your Imperial an Imperial Milk Stout. Otherwise blending is the way to go.

Think about your grain bill before hand (not that this helps in retrospect)

I have found that with my stronger beers, having a solid and tasty recipe has recovered some monsters. AKA- having a deep caramel profile on barleywines has helped when I age them. Throwing in some oak/barrel aging can add complexity and of course, time heals most.

I agree with the idea of aging it out on oak; a bit of O2 will convert some of the fusols into fruity esters, and you'll get vanillin from the oak (assuming American oak) which is a masking chemical that can help to hide off flavors.

099 just shouldn't be used for making beer; my best guess is that it's just distiller's "turbo yeast"; it makes terrible tasting beer.

Adam

biertourist said:
I agree with the idea of aging it out on oak; a bit of O2 will convert some of the fusols into fruity esters, and you'll get vanillin from the oak (assuming American oak) which is a masking chemical that can help to hide off flavors. 099 just shouldn't be used for making beer; my best guess is that it's just distiller's "turbo yeast"; it makes terrible tasting beer. Adam

Oxygen isn't going to create esters from alcohols. I think you might be referring to aldehydes?

Back