How do I get rid of Hopshot residue in my tubing?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastylad

Reaction score
I'm making the Heady Topper extract clone kit from NB ("Off The Topper"), and it uses Hopshot. It beaded up during the boil into little tarry looking balls, and then during high krausen blew off, and there a greenish tinge and hoppy smell remaining in my blow off tubing after cleaning.

I've tried hot water and oxyclean a couple of times and done a few Starsan rinses too, and nothing seems to be shifting it. Any ideas? Does anyone have experience using NBs Hopshot?

It's oil, mostly so you need to dissolve it either with something like a lot of hot detergent solution (dish detergent, not oxyclean) or alcohol.

I have IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not India pale ale!) for cleaning the ink from my reusable bottle labels. I'll give that a blast too. Thanks guys.

I use kosher salt along with the IPA when I need a physical scrubber in places I can't reach, works like a champ

I don't have any experience with hopshot residue. I do clean my tubing with dish soap and a cotton ball. You can tear off a piece of the cotton ball, roll it till it fits inside the tube, then push it through with hot water.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

So the isopropyl alcohol did a good job by itself, throwing some salt crystals in there too for abrasion helped get the job done completely. Great advice fellas.

The beer in question, the Heady Topper Clone from NB is kegged and carbing now. It's a great tasting beer, but it's no Heady Topper (I'm not really surprised - from an extract kit). It's darker in color, not quite so "creamy". I think this is because I used gelatin to drop out a lot of the yeast, had to really, it looked like mud after cold crashing for almost a week. But the hop aroma from the whilrpooling and dry hopping is really nice and fruity.

I used 10 ml of hop-shot in my heady topper clone in addition to the 15 oz of late hops and dry hops. Right now i'm 4-5 weeks in and my beer is green from all the hops! I really think the recipe is too aggressively dry hopped. It seemed perfect when i racked to secondary after the first dry hop addition. the second addition was the killer! And that hop oil extract/resin will never be used in my brew house again! its nearly impossible to measure and the crap sticks to everything! I used some 5 ml syringes that we had for the kids cold medicine. That was the only way i was able to get it into the boil kettle with out making a huge mess!

Latest posts

Back