How do I ferment this recipe????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor85

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm very new to home brewing, only 2 batches so far. I need some advice on how to go about with the fermentation schedule of this recipe I found on the BYO website. Would 2 weeks in the primary, then right to bottling work OK, or would this benefit from some time in a secondary?

Thanks for the help!

-Connor

Wisconsin Spring Porter
(5 gallons)

Ingredients:

3.3 lbs. plain dark malt extract (LME)
1.5 lbs light dry malt extract (DME)
1 lb. crystal malt
0.25 lb. black patent
0.25 lb. roasted barley
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 lb. clover honey
3.5 to 5 gal. maple sap (used as brewing water)
2 oz. Goldings hops
2 tsp. spruce essence (or half of amount recommended on bottle)
0.25 oz. fresh wintergreen leaves (roll in hands to crush)
Yeast Labs English liquid ale yeast in a 1-pint starter

Step by Step:
Steep the grains and remove just prior to the boil. Add malt and boil. At start of boil add 1.5
oz. hops, spruce, and wintergreen. Boil 45 minutes. Add the remaining hops, boil two more
minutes, and cool. Pitch yeast at 70°F.

OG = 1.062
FG = 1.020

The Cheezydemon is right. It will all settle out and just make sure you don't take a lot of the grub at the bottom into the bottle or keg. Give a porter time to age and that recipe will be very good.

When fermentation has stopped (krausen has fallen) and your final gravity is reached (within a couple of points) and stays steady for 3 days, you can move to a bottling bucket and bottle. Porters are dark and really don't need to be put into clearing tanks for very long if at all.

More than likely, two weeks is enough time, but you really do not know. Yeast doesn't care about a clock or calendar. It does what it does until it's done doing it. You just have to check your gravity and see when it is done.

TL

Thanks for the help everyone. Primary to bottle works for me. Sorry for the newbiness of my question, but the input is appreciated!

-Connor

Back