How do I ferment the most funky/estery/phenolicy beer possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
How do I ferment the most funky/estery/phenolicy beer possible ? Something with all sorts of spice and fruit flavors, just from grain/sugar and yeast.

Thanks

GB150 - Sour Cherry Funk + OLY 218 All the Bretts

GB150 on 33% white wheat, 33% Pils, 33% Flake Wheat - cherry sour to a T with only malt. OLY218 will give you that funk.

Mash high to give your Brett some food. age long and Brett will continue to get weird eating all the dead yeast and complex sugars.

Mash at 158 ? Or higher ?

What temp should I ferment that at ? Open fermenter ? Closed ?

Thanks !

Mash at 158 ? Or higher ?

What temp should I ferment that at ? Open fermenter ? Closed ?

Thanks !
I mashed 154. I also ferment closed. Open fermenter you can get wild inoculation and YMMV.

Currently i have the same grain bill for both Omega Sour Cherry Funk and Imperial Sour Batch Kidz.

Not impressed with Sour Batch Kidz so far after about 1 month of sitting. Not sour and bland. Sour Cherry Funk is exactly like a cherry warhead right now. Waiting for that funk to develop. If not, ill pitch the Brett.

Sounds delicious !

What would you recommend if I want to target more citrus and pineapple flavors ?

All The Bretts is my jam.

Saison blend of some form plus All The Bretts would be my recommendation. Saison ferment, secondary with Brett.
totally on my radar with All the Bretts :)

I just know my friends and Id be stuck increasing my beer gut drinking that entire keg myself haha

Back