How do I deal with hops that weren't stored properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yono1986

Reaction score
I was given an 8 oz. bag of galaxy yesterday. The person who gave it to me did not have it refrigerated, and I don't know how long he had it. Needless to say, I put the hops in my freezer as soon as I could. The bag is still sealed, and is morebeer galaxy with a lot number of 45474. How should I treat these hops for my personal brewing purposes?

Look at them and smell them. If they smell fresh, and are still green and not turning yellow, they should still be good. If they're yellowing, they're probably old and oxidized. Toss them in that case.

No don't toss them! If they smell funky already age them!

Put them in an open bowl to oxidize more and after awhile they'll take on an awesome "cheesy" smell and can add some really complex flavors to a lambic or sour

Edit: sorry everyone that was a total misprint. I was taking a gravity sample of my IPA while typing that. Apparently multitasking is hard today :p

Definitely do not use them in an IPA

Back