How do I cut off the BOTTOM of a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on an e-HLT/HERMS build and I'm thinking it would be nice to have a bottom dump valve because I'll be whirlpooling and chilling in the HLT. I used the pvc coupler in the hole method to cut the top of one of my kegs and it worked brilliantly but I'm drawing a blank on how to cut a hole in the bottom. I want the cut to be just as nice and perfect as the top cut I've made. I really don't want to free hand it and I don't want to have to make such a big pilot hole to use the pvc method.

Has anyone one done this? Any ideas? I obviously have an angle grinder, and I have access to a machine shop but I'm a novice there so I can't even begin to think of what tools/machines would be useful. I also have access to a plasma cutter, but I'd like to avoid using it on this, even if I could fab a functional compass jig. I'm not opposed to a SMALL pilot hole as a last resort.

When I converted my keg into a keggle, I simply used the guard on the grinder against the rim of the keg to make the circle. You need a little bit of a steady hand, but it came out looking pretty good.

I was thinking of doing the same thing-cutting the bottoms.
I was going to make a jig out of wood blocks then strap that to the angle grinder. The idea being that I should be able to ride the bottom skirt like a rail...at least that's how it works when I imagine it anyway.

Here is a jig I built. With a couple blocks on the base to keep it centered inside the keg skirt, should work fine. In these pics, I was making a very small hole so I needed to clamp a block behind the grinder to change the angle. The last pic is before I touched the hole with a file or sandpaper.

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

Ed, thats nice work. Looks like you were cutting off the top, while i'll be cutting the bottom, but your concept has my wheels spinning and I think I can work out a solution. Thanks for sharing! I'll post what I come up with!

You could start with a drill bit in the center, open it up with a step bit, then use the same concept as Ohio and build a jig with something in the center to hold it in place...Thats what I would do.

I know this is the top, but mine looks easier to build than ohio's...but his looks sturdier! Whatever gets the job done! How big is that hole 10"'s?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/jig-i-made-195299/

I free handed 2 of my kegs...one im still using, the other retired!

You could start with a drill bit in the center, open it up with a step bit, then use the same concept as Ohio and build a jig with something in the center to hold it in place...Thats what I would do.

I know this is the top, but mine looks easier to build than ohio's...but his looks sturdier! Whatever gets the job done! How big is that hole 10"'s?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/jig-i-made-195299/

I free handed 2 of my kegs...one im still using, the other retired!

I kinda overbuild most things ;)

It is adjustable both ways and the "base" keeps it from moving when the cutout becomes loose.

The keg in the pictures is now a fermentor. I made the hole small enough that I could clamp another keg's cutout over it with a big o-ring to seal. So yea, it's probably about 10".

The stepbit hole in the bottom is a great idea.

On the other end of the threaded "T" handle is an upside down holesaw that fits in the keg valve opening which could easily be changed.

I've got an idea. I'm pretty sure it will work with a minimum of jig building. I can't explain it well but I will go to the shop now and mock something up. I'll post pictures in a little while - Dwain

Well, so much for that. Long story short, by the time I got mine to work for "any" keg, it's as much to build as the other jigs.

Latest posts

Back