How Dirty Is Too Dirty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippajak

Reaction score
It's been about two months since my last brew day. Today I found myself poking around in my basement brew space, and discovered a bat in the bottom of one of my fermenting buckets.
After taking quite a start, I decided to toss the (presumably dead) animal out into the woods. As it exited the bucket, it spread its wings for an awkward glide to the ground, much to my surprise. I wish it the best of luck.
Now I am left with the matter of my bucket, and the not-inconsiderable amount of guano left in it. I attempted briefly to spray it out, which accomplished little more than an overpowering smell. It now sits outside, awaiting my decision. Should I give it a one-two punch of Oxiclean and StarSan, or is this the kind of dirty that never comes clean?
What say you, HBT? What would you do? When have you given up on your equipment before?

If it was just a cheap fermenting bucket, I'd just toss it. That guano is some super smelling stuff, even if I were able to get it clean I wouldn't want anything I put in my mouth near the stuff. Don't think I could get the thought out of the my head lol.

If you decide to keep/use the bucket you have to name the next beer in it
"Batshlt Baltic Porter"

I personally would ditch the bucket but it would probably be allright if you filled it with pure bleach and soaked it overnight and then hit it with oxyclean and star-san. But that's probably a lot more effort than just coughing up the $$$ for another plastic bucket.

Latest posts

Back