How deep to plant my rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
How deep should I plant my Rhizomes? I'm planning to do above ground boxes but I wasn't sure how much soil should be on top?

I don't have the answer (sorry!) but simply more questions!

How will you insulate the raised planter in the winter? How much soil will you use?

I'm trying to think of using the same idea here, but I'm lucky my hops survive in the ground year to year, I think, since it's so cold here. I mulch, and they seem ok so far. But I don't think having a raised box would work for me here. I'll be curious to see what others do!

I planted my rhizomes (1 cascade, 1 magnum, 1 chinook) vertically w/ the little buds facing up and 1.5" to 2" deep. I also have mine in big planters and will bring them indoors when winter rolls around. I had shoots sprouting less than 10 days after planting just FYI.

Yoop, my question is how deep did you plant yours? I will be planting at our Eagle River cabin and could use some local advice!

Yoop, my question is how deep did you plant yours? I will be planting at our Eagle River cabin and could use some local advice!

Not very deep at all- about 2 inches! I'm planting three more this year- one chinook, and two centennials. The hallertauer is surviving and producing a bit (about 10 ounces dried this year), but the cascade is going extremely well, and we're getting more and more every year from it.

:off:
When you come to Eagle River, you are REQUIRED to notify me. My cottage is about 30 minutes away, my house is a bit less, so you will be forced to consume some of my homebrew while in Wisconsin. ;)

2 inches, very good. I'll dig out under the ground below the box as well and put in some fresh manure and compost mix. Here in Western Mass everyone says they have no problem with them coming back every year even with the permafrost.
They were originally grown and farmed in the Northeastern US until the blight in the 30's and then commercially things switched over to the northwest.

Back