How could I use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neohistory

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this could be used to clean, but I have a big bottle of Potassium Hydroxide left over from an experiment I did with my vehicle (yes it was the separate water into oxygen/hydrogen) and I just noticed it sitting around the other day. Does anyone use this for anything? I notice it is an ingredient in soap making, but is there anything else other than what google could possibly suggest? I'm not a chemist so I'm not about to assume.

No one uses this for anything? I just don't like this chemical sitting in the garage waiting for some accident to happen. Well, guess it's back to google!

I think it can be used for a disinfectant, but I couldn't tell you how to mix it properly. That's industrial strength stuff you're sitting on there.

Dave

It's KOH, you can read about it here Potassium hydroxide

I wouldn't mess around with it. It can cause serious chemical burns, toxic dust, splatter when mixed with water or acids, and corrode metals.

Not trying to scare you, drain cleaner is mostly KOH mixed with water and other chemicals.

See if your fire department or police will dispose of it.

Yea I know what it is to the degree of precautions. I might just dispose of it or...make some soap!!!

Latest posts

Back