How common are bucket leaks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
My airlock has no activity, but it looks like I have a healthy fermentation. This is my first time using the plastic buckets & I was curious if these buckets are known for leaking co2.

Also, if so, what are some ways of getting them to seal tighter? I use the standard bucket + lid that come with the midwest kits.

Buckets leak all the time. Getting them tighter isn't really an issue for primary fermentation, as the CO2 will "blanket" the top of the beer, preventing oxidation. The only thing to worry about is something fallin IN the beer, which most lids will cover even if they don't seal tight.

Very common and nothing to worry about. If it is a concern for you, carboys don't have that problem. But it really isn't a problem.

Most bucket lids leak. I normally wet the gasket if i'm using a bucket, but it's still not foolproof.

That being said, bacteria are at worst carried on the wind and fall by gravity. So unless you have a gaping hole for air to move in and out of you won't get an infection simply because the CO2 leaks out the lid seal instead of your airlock.

Thanks for the help, eventually I want to get carboys so I can see in easier to see what's going on, but for now it's buckets. Glad this is normal & hopefully fermentation is going as planned.

Most bucket lids leak. I normally wet the gasket if i'm using a bucket, but it's still not foolproof.

That being said, bacteria are at worst carried on the wind and fall by gravity. So unless you have a gaping hole for air to move in and out of you won't get an infection simply because the CO2 leaks out the lid seal instead of your airlock.

As far as I know, Midwest buckets don't have gaskets in them. Could this be why it's leaking? Also, can I buy a gasket for the Midwest bucket lid to hopefully get a better seal?

If you look at all of the "my airlock's not bubbling" threads on here on any give day, you see that it is quite common. And it doesn't matter, and airlock is a vent to release excess co2, so is a leak, either way gas gets out and beer stays off the ceiling.

The yeast doesn't really care how their farts get evacuated. It doesn't alter fermentation in the least.

Some fermenters don't even have grommet holes for airlocks, you're just SUPPOSED to leave the lid loose. Or some folks just put plexiglass on top, or saran wrap even. You have to realize is co2 is coming, nothing is getting in. No fermenter is EVER airtight...if the were then we'd have ceilings full of beer. How you achieve that lack of airtightnes, (or actually co2 tightness) is irrelevant.

Wild bugs are not ninja acrobats....all they do is fall in. They can't negotiate a gap where a piece of plexiglass for example meets the top of a bucket. The only concern is really insect control and a brick on top of the loose lid will keep the fruit flies and other critters out.

Counting bubbles does not equate to anything usable in fermentation. It's not like "x bubbles/minute= y gravity points." It just means that co2 is being released....but it could also NOT be bubbling, and still fermenting away.

In fact you might find this discussion on the superfluousness of airlocks something that will help you get a handle on this. It was started by a newer brewing who just grasped this concept.

Airlock activity is in similar category to watching the yeast activity. I do like watching the roiling yeast flocs, ominous rising of the krausen, and merrily bubbling airlock. That said the advantages of buckets are substantial and I'm pretty much fully converted. Still not 100% comfortable not being able to see the action, but batch by batch I'm learning to trust the yeast to do their thing.

Thanks, ya'll. I have my first batch in over fifteen years in the bucket right now. First 48 hrs, nada. Next 24, happy, consistent gurgles. Now nothing again. I'm not going to worry about it.

Latest posts

Back