How clean is "Cleaned" from batch to batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first batch. and I just bought a house so there has been 5 weeks were I have no been able to brew another batch because my life is in boxes... but I keep reading threads on how hard it is to clean their fermenting bucket and Carboys... but for me my kraussen and everything easily scraped out.

So how clean do these buckets need to be, carboys included.

Immediately after racking and bottling I got my Hot water to, well... HOT! and used my kitchen sprayer, sprayed out that joker. used some soap and then a Sani-bath after words... is this not enough?

p.s. Same with bottles; how clean is "clean"

Clean means no particles or residue left.

My carboys look brand new after I clean them. I have seen where others mention how difficult it is to clean their carboys and I don't understand. I soak mine in Oxyclean for 12 hours and give it a good swipe with by brush and rinse a few times.

For you, it sounds like you have it pretty clean but make sure it is rinsed sufficiently as some soaps tend to leave residue behind.

And be careful with adding HOT HOT water to a carboy as it can shatter from the temp shock.

Never use soap. PBW and hot water are awesome. OR you can mix TPS and oxyclean and make your own PBW. The soap will leave a residue. After you do use the PBW let it dry completely and then just use StarSan right before you use it again.

I make it easy on myself. I have one of those big plastic sinks in my basement and the hot water gets well pretty hot. I throw some liquid bleach in the water just a little bit fill it up throw my bucket in let it soak for a few hours rinse it out. then fill it up with sanitizer and hot water. Auto Siphon it out into my bottling bucket and repeat.

What makes cleaning a carboy so hard is that unlike a bucket, you can't just reach in there with a sponge and clean out all the goop with one swipe. And rinsing is more laborious than with a bucket - the carboy is heavier, and doesn't just immediately dump all the water out.

With a bucket, there's never a need to soak for 12 hours or anything like that. So maybe cleaning a carboy isn't hard, but cleaning a bucket is just so easy.

Back