How can I tell if my hops are still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
I have 2 vacuum packed 8oz packs of hops I got last year from Brewmasters when he was running a special. Have been on a little brewing hiatus unfortunately, but am now getting back to it...anyway...

The pack of Columbus seemed vacuum packed still, but the Centennial seemed 'looser' and not still tightly packed and is definitely less fragrant-although I'm admittedly not an expert on what the differences in hops are and should present as. They have both been in the fridge since they arrived from Brewmasters.

Any easy way to tell if they're still okay to use?

Thanks in advance and all that:mug:

In the future, I would keep them in the freezer if you plan on waiting this long to use them. But, they should be fine. They've no doubt lost some of their original AA potential, but they'll still work fine. You probably won't be able to determine an IBU amount for your recipe though.

If they don't smell cheesey, then they're most likely still good.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. The break wasn't planned at all, unfortunately, but glad things are back to 'Okay to Brew' status.

In a couple weeks, I'll take a HD spectographic photo of a belch produced by the brew it's a part of.

Back