How bad off am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paratroop

Reaction score
Okay guys so I just bottled my first batch of brew last weekend, I'm pretty worried though after reading some information on these forums.

I brewed a Hop Cult IPA from Midwest, when it was done in the secondary I noticed when I racked it to my bottling bucket I only had a little over 3 gallons. I just scratched my head and continued with my bottling process which included adding the full compliment of corn sugar...:(

I didn't find out that you are supposed to cut down the amount of priming sugar per gallon to avoid over carbonation...now I do and I'm worried!

I threw couple bottles in the fridge and plan on doing a taste test this evening.

Basiclly I'm curious how bad I messed up.

They could wind up over carbonated,but not usually after only one week. How did you only get 3 gallons? did you rack too early to the bottling bucket before the beer fully settled out? Or did you just leave too much in the primary fermenter?

Did you take gravity readings after the boil, and after fermentation? What were they?

Just a guess, but you may have forgotten to dilute the beer after the boil, and that would explain having only 3 gallons.

As for the carbonation, yes your beer will have extra fizz. It won't be to style, but it will settle down after you pour it.

I did add water after the boil, I'm worried maybe the bubbles from the aeration process might have thrown me off...

So the beer will still be drinkable?

Back