How bad did i mess up fermentation? High temps on my IPA (100+), 85+on my porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgm

Reaction score
So... I had a perfect plan... I used my kegerator as a fermentation chamber with temp control to either turn on the fridge or the heating wrap to keep temperaure constant. When I took a sample of my porter to see how oak-ey it was, I was an idiot and the temperature probe was outside of the fridge door.

My temp controller kept heating my 5 gallons of a sculpin clone for 18 hours becuase it thought the temp was 62 degrees in my kegerator... when I got home from work today, it was 86 degrees in there.

I had two batches:
1) A robust porter in secondary. It was brewed 19 days ago, it has been in a keg for secondary fermentation for the past five days and has been sitting on oak chips that were soaked in bourbon. When I put this beer into secondary, I keged and force carbonated a half-gallon or so, it tasted awesome. I really hope this one isn't a waste.

I am guessing that this one might have a greater chance of surviving. When I poured my sample from the keg, the dip tube pulled straigt from the bottom and there was no trub or yeast:

2) A sculpin clone in primary. I brewed this last Friday (6 days ago). The yeast is Yveast 1056 American Ale.
here it is the day after brewing:

Fermentation slowed down greatly after two or three days... here it is last night before I messed up

Here it is now:

This 6 day old brew sat for over 16-18 hours with the heating blanket on full blast... What does this mean?

It was so hot that there was condensation dripping back onto the beer from the inside of the carboy. I can't imagine how hot it got in there.

CN: I F-ed up... How bad is this. Might the porter survive? Is there any hope for the IPA? Will there be esters and off flavors, or will the yeast have done horrible things after reaching temps in the 100+ range? Do I dump it and re-brew after making a rookie mistake (these are my first two solo whole grain brews)?

Might be ok and might not. Truth is nobody knows and won't know until you taste it. Beer is a living thing and you don't know how it's going to respond to its environment.

Might be ok and might not. Truth is nobody knows and won't know until you taste it. Beer is a living thing and you don't know how it's going to respond to its environment.

I figure... I guess I am wondering if anyone else has done something this careless, and to see how it worked out. I imagine the majority of the fermentation was finished, could this mean that the yeast in the IPA will likely be dead and unable to clean up its mess from fermentation?

I would believe that the Porter will be fine after cooling. The IPA depends on the fermentation completion. If it was done, you may skate by....it will not be an exact clone now though. If this was me, I would cold crash the IPA, re-pitch a clean up yeast into secondary and get it off the yeast it is on now. Ferment at 65ish, rise it up a bit to clean up like normal and then cold crash it. I could be totally off and it was actively fermenting at the high temp, and then you will just all kinds of esters.

1056 would have been pretty much done after six days. Don't bother adding more yeast, you'll never get it started. Cold crash and keg it like normal. Then drink and see its ok. If it's ok throw your dry hops in the serving keg and enjoy. If you don't like it don't drink it. Either way chalk it up as a lesson learned

The porter is most likely fine.

The IPA is borderline. If the bulk of fermentation was over, which it probably was, that may be ok also.

Nothing much you can do at this point except to let them finish and see what they taste like.

Thanks guys.

My wife and I put the kids to bed, so I was able to go down to the basement to check on the beer.

Good news for me, the porter tastes fine. It is a but oaky as expected so I am just going to pull the oak and let it mellow in the keg until it is ready.

I am cold crashing the ipa now and will rack it when it is ready... do i cool it for one or two days and see if it is clear and ready for secondary?

Here are the results of my mistake...

-The porter seems like it was un harmed!
-The IPA was dumped:( The color settled out well enough after cold crashing and the smell wasn't too off... but it tasted HORRIBLE. I am not sure if it was just a coincidence, but i got a terrible headache minutes after tasting it.

Oh well, time to brew again!

Here are the results of my mistake...

-The porter seems like it was un harmed!
-The IPA was dumped:( The color settled out well enough after cold crashing and the smell wasn't too off... but it tasted HORRIBLE. I am not sure if it was just a coincidence, but i got a terrible headache minutes after tasting it.

Oh well, time to brew again!

Good for the porter.

The headache from the IPA indicates that it got fusels. Fusels can give you a bad headache. So it was not far enough along to survive the heat.

At least one of them survived.

I made a Dunkelweizen using danstar munich yeast which I fermented at 75 degrees and it was definitely a butterbomb. After I primed and bottled the butter is still there but not as pronounced as during pre-bottle.

I made a Dunkelweizen using danstar munich yeast which I fermented at 75 degrees and it was definitely a butterbomb. After I primed and bottled the butter is still there but not as pronounced as during pre-bottle.

My IPA suffered from more than a bit of an off flavor. I can't describe the taste, it was like nothing I had ever tasted in a beer. It didn't take more than 30 seconds for me to decide it wasn't worth waiting this one out.

On the other hand, the porter keeps getting better and better. I really need to stop sampling it and let it sit for another week or two, then it will be amazing.

Mmmmmmm I actually bottled a Chocolate Porter a week ago. Cracked one open last night and it was simply amazing. Gotta love a good porter.

Latest posts

Back