How annoyed would you be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal92sport

Undefeated at naps
Reaction score
A regional online home brew store of relative popularity sent me a big old box of 25lbs of grain, various hops, spices, etc. I also ordered 3lb of light DME. It looks like the DME bag had been cut at some point so they put some box tape on it to keep it closed. Well, that didn’t work so hot so every single surface of everything in the box is sticky as hell, probably due to moisture making the spilled DME sticky? They could have double bagged it... I don’t mind getting a ripped bag, but the stickyness leaves me pretty annoyed. I’ll probably go back to ordering from the other place of similar distance, with a bit higher prices, who pack well and ship quickly.

For reference, the nearest home brew store is a 75 minute highway drive away from my smallish town, hence the mail order.

4E3601E3-10D9-4054-A473-D3EC883A0DC0.jpeg

Am I being a baby? Should I email them to give them friendly feedback?

Dan

I don't think it ever hurts to let companies know when they do something silly. Even if its just an FYI similar to what you posted here that they perhaps find a different solution when something like that comes up again. At worst, they ignore you and you move your business elsewhere. At best, they refund you in some way.

I think a friendly email would appropriate. Wife has bought a gallon of oil online and it leaked, box delivered from usps or ups was soaked.

Contacted the company, sent us a replacement. Same thing happened again, and once again sent a replacement, this time the lid was taped and was double bagged.

I agree with the above posters and would add if you can to attach not only the above picture to your email, but a picture of the inside of the box as well. Every business should want to hear your experience.

I’d be annoyed at the general stickiness of everything, but it can be wiped down.

One the other hand, if DME got out of the bag, moisture & oxygen got into the bag and shortened it’s shelf-life. That’s what I’d be most upset about.

Definitely let them know, I bet they would replace it for free and then some. They can't and don't afford to have poor customer service. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back