how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EE913E61-7FCE-4AED-A738-456662116713.jpeg

Dayam! In this era, yeah, that's one AFU rat's nest that's about as unmaintainable as they get.

That said, my first engineering designs were on IBM mainframes that used wire-wrapped backplanes (only the power and ground pins were connected by copper) and one literally could not see the PCB through the three-deep 22 gauge solid copper wiring. Troubleshooting those was a beyotch...

Cheers!

Dayam! In this era, yeah, that's one AFU rat's nest that's about as unmaintainable as they get.

That said, my first engineering designs were on IBM mainframes that used wire-wrapped backplanes (only the power and ground pins were connected by copper) and one literally could not see the PCB through the three-deep 22 gauge solid copper wiring. Troubleshooting those was a beyotch...

Cheers!
I remember seeing many of those wire wrapped backplanes on the production floor at IBM in Endicott, NY (I believe they were System 370 mod 30's and 40's - the bigger iron was assembled in Poughkeepsie, NY.) Those were nothing compared to the approx 6 ft x 3 ft "plate of spaghetti" wiring on the backplane of the CDC 6400 that we had at the Univ of Wash in the late 60's early 70's. That mass of wires must have been 4 in thick, and all of the wires were white. Even then as an undergrad, the difficulty of maintaining that mess was not lost on me. I still don't know how they managed to get that thing to work after final assembly, as there must have been at least a few wires that weren't connected correctly initially. (I believe most of the wire wrap wiring on the IBM mashines in the late 70's was done by robots.)

Brew on :mug:

(I believe they were System 370 mod 30's and 40's

Very close - the 30s and 40s were actually small System 360 models and they did sport the same wire-wrapped backplane construction with the successor System 370 models, which used 3-digit designators. The System 360 series used magnetic core memories and predated my career; I designed semiconductor memory complexes for System 370 models 135, 145, then the refresh 138, 148, 158 and 168 machines. I moved on to design memory systems for the successor 303X line, then the 308X and then 309X series, before finally being poached by DEC to work on Alpha...

Cheers!

Very close - the 30s and 40s were actually small System 360 models and they did sport the same wire-wrapped backplane construction with the successor System 370 models, which used 3-digit designators. The System 360 series used magnetic core memories and predated my career; I designed semiconductor memory complexes for System 370 models 135, 145, then the refresh 138, 148, 158 and 168 machines. I moved on to design memory systems for the successor 303X line, then the 308X and then 309X series, before finally being poached by DEC to work on Alpha...

Cheers!
Yeah, I should have checked the history before posting. This was back in 1978-79, so would have been the 370 models 138 & 148. I believe these were the last small 370's that used wire wrap backplanes. The 4300 series that followed from Endicott used printed wiring backplanes. My work was mainly in semiconductor packaging, with more limited time spent with printed circuit boards.

Brew on :mug:

True, true. But I'm running out of folks to reminisce with, and then there's the "avoid boring young people" thing.

Not quite as severe as what my soon to be 100 years old mom deals with on a daily basis though - she literally has virtually no one left to relate to save for descendents at this point. Kinda freaky. I doubt I'll have that problem though ;)

Cheers!

Back