Houston, We Have Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Ok, so my light munich/chinook SMaSH (OG 1.066) has a definite diacetyl aroma and flavor. Its not bad enough to dump out, but I want to know the cause. My ferm temps were around 61, and it fermented for three weeks. The only potential problem I can see is that I pitched with a single packet of nottingham, that I didn't rehydrate. It took about 12 hours to show airlock activity. Is that my problem? Does anybody here pitch non-rehydrated nottingham and not have diacetyl problems?

edit: it might be relevant that I didn't use a secondary.

61 is pretty damn low. Is that the highest it got? If so, a diacetyl rest 70 -75 deg F would probably taken care of it. Is it bottled already?

yeah, the highest it might have got was 63 at high krausen. I thought notty liked the lower temps...

its bottled. For some reason, I didn't detect the diacetyl when i tasted it at bottling.

im having the same issues with my lighter beers, although im kegging.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/diacetyl-151032/

yeah i saw ur thread after I created mine. I feel your pain. I'm gonna let this sit in the bottle for a while and hope for the best.

to be honest though, the diacetyl isnt THAT BAD of a flavor, the butterscotch kind of blends in nice with the large amount of chinook I have in my beer...So the lesson learned might be to just up the hops in all my beers in case I get diacetyl...

After the majority of fermentation is done the yeast will begin to drop out of suspension, especially at a lower temperature like 61. The ideal thing to do is to ramp up the temperature towards the end of fermentation to keep them cleaning up diacetyl and acetaldehyde. Nottingham has a pretty wide range for temperatures ranging from 57-70F but it's still a good idea to raise the temperature late in the fermentation to keep the yeast working. Don't let the little bastards take a break until their work is done!

yeah i saw ur thread after I created mine. I feel your pain. I'm gonna let this sit in the bottle for a while and hope for the best.

to be honest though, the diacetyl isnt THAT BAD of a flavor, the butterscotch kind of blends in nice with the large amount of chinook I have in my beer...So the lesson learned might be to just up the hops in all my beers in case I get diacetyl...

its really bad in my beer, not so much the taste, but the aroma and slick slimy texture. i might have it in my big beers too but it might not be as detectable underneath the hops and alcohol.

What was the date code on the Notty packet? There was a bad batch that got out, which caused some funky things to go on during fermentation. I lost two batches to it before they announced it.

Back