• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Texas Houston fermenting chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
I came across 10 Elkay remote water chillers. I am using one to chill the water in a reservoir prior to goofing into my as brewtech chronical.

Yes, it is not quite as cold as a glycol solution, but it's working pretty well.

I have 10 more that I will sell for $200 a piece.

They are used, but still work well. Not looking to ship.

How cold will these get the water? Their website doesn't say. What temp water are you sending to the fermenter?

So I'm cold crashing tonight. I'll comment on the temp in the morning. The unit held my beer at exactly 70.5 with no issue.

They are the Elkay ESr1

Thanks for replying, but I'll pass. I think they'd be too small for my needs. Couldn't find info on that exact model number, but I'm guessing it's one of their smaller units capable of chilling 1 gallon per hour. Or in other terms, a chilling capacity of around 250 BTUs/hr.

For those of you following at home, the fermenter had dropped about 20 degrees in 12 hours. Will continue to monitor.

Glycol keeps water from freezing, i don't think it will make the unit any colder

Right, so by essentially lowering the freezing point of the solution, it will make it easier for the machine to get the solution colder, as it is not approaching it's solid state. No?

Right, so by essentially lowering the freezing point of the solution, it will make it easier for the machine to get the solution colder, as it is not approaching it's solid state. No?

If the chiller is capable of subfreezing temps, the glycol will allow you to make the liquid colder. If the chiller can only chill to say 40f, glycol isn't going to matter.

Back