House Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WooHokie

Reaction score
Question and call for participation:

When people refer to having a house yeast, does this mean they use a yeast strain then keep repitching the yeast from leftover slurry? Or does this just mean you only buy one type of yeast and use that almost exclusively?

Now for the participation part, tell me your house yeast!

WooHokie said:
Question and call for participation:

When people refer to having a house yeast, does this mean they use a yeast strain then keep repitching the yeast from leftover slurry? Or does this just mean you only buy one type of yeast and use that almost exclusively?

Now for the participation part, tell me your house yeast!

I like the idea of it. I WAS using wlp001+wlp007 (cal ale + dry eng. ale) as a potential house yeast for all my brews, but I didnt like the results of 2 similar consecutive brew, so I'm still fishing...
I'm sure I must've contaminated something perhaps along the way as those two together seemed to develop a real funky, almost heavy Belgian aroma & flavor that I didn't find too pleasing in those beers. Not BAD, just not what I was hoping for. Trying US05 1st time today... :)

I like the idea of it. I WAS using wlp001+wlp007 (cal ale + dry eng. ale) as a potential house yeast for all my brews, but I didnt like the results of 2 similar consecutive brew, so I'm still fishing...
I'm sure I must've contaminated something perhaps along the way as those two together seemed to develop a real funky, almost heavy Belgian aroma & flavor that I didn't find too pleasing in those beers. Not BAD, just not what I was hoping for. Trying US05 1st time today... :)

HI,

US05 is my "house yeast" I have used it so many times. Note, as I reuse it a lot, it gets away from me a little so I just start over with a fresh sachet.

HI,

US05 is my "house yeast" I have used it so many times. Note, as I reuse it a lot, it gets away from me a little so I just start over with a fresh sachet.

To answer your question, I think this is what most home brewers think of as a house yeast. It is a yeast that you go back to over and over again because it gives you reliable results in your system. If you keep using the same strain, and especially if it is a liquid yeast, you are likely to wash and re-use. However, due to shifts in the population that can occur after several re-uses, you usually go back to the LHBS to buy a fresh strain every three brews or so.

Wyeast 2308. I use it in 4 or 5 batches in a row, then build up a new pitch.

I've defiantly used us-05 the most as well. I have some wlp090 to try. Don't think it will be much different but it'll probably be used 4-5 times in a row.

Back