Hot weather styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in northern New York but this summer has been very hot. My place stays around 75-80 degrees during the day while I'm at work and have the A/C off. It gets to about 70 at night when I turn it on.

I just brewed a Saison due to the yeast's tolerance of heat. Are there any other styles that can be feremented at these warm temperatures? I'd like to get two batches done in August.

It would be amazing if one of the yeast companies could find or make something like 1056 that would be nice and clean at 70-80F.

That's kinda warm. You may have luck with something English?: a bitter, esb, eipa or even a brown ale. The higher temps can/will bring out the estery flavors associated with these styles. But man, 80 is really hot and could throw some bad flavor too.

Same area, but I have used a swamp cooler a few times to bring the temps down significantly (down to 58 from 85). The water jacket around the fermenter keeps the temps fairly constant. Just add ice as you see fit. I would stick to Saisons or Wits (80 is too high for a wit) though as warmer temps aren't too bad for these. But if you can get temps to 65-70 with the swamp cooler you can make many styles....

I ordered a temperature controller off ebay for 22$. You can easily wire it up and plug your fridge into it and be in the clear....

I'm havin the same prob down in Texas , I'm new to brewin and jus doing extracts for now .. Average temp in the house is around 78 , but tasted the batch after priming to bottle and it tasted jus fine so far

Update ... Opened a bottle of that stuff today and def had a liquory/ winey characteristic to it .. The smell and flavor aren't as good as the pre bottled stuff at all , but a half a pint and I'm already gettin A head change ..

Update ... Opened a bottle of that stuff today and def had a liquory/ winey characteristic to it .. The smell and flavor aren't as good as the pre bottled stuff at all , but a half a pint and I'm already gettin A head change ..

I believe that's fused alcohols from too high temps. Happened to me once. It didn't cure with age but I still drank it.

If your house is 78 then your beer is fermenting at like 80-85. Not good for any yeast but Saison.

Does saison work well with an ipa ? This was only our second batch and still doin partial grain kits .. Is it cheaper to all the lLME and DME grains and yeast separate ?

A saison yeast will produce a saison. If you want to hop it up I don't see why you couldnt. For example: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/nelson-sauvin-dry-hopped-saison-229126/.
Are you asking is it easier to buy extract and yeast separate than buying a kit? I believe so. I haven't bought a kit, but I imagine its cheaper.

If I were you I would find a recipe (saison) on here that is partial mash or extract and use that. there is a recipe link at the top of this page. Look in the belgian and french ales section and you will find several saison recipes that will most likely have what you need.

I need something for ipa and iipas , Belgian anything is totally opposite of the flavor profiles I prefer sir

I've brewed stouts and other HG beers at high temps successfully. I think HG beers with strong hops schedules are more likely to mask any off flavors from the high temp. Of course, it depends upon the yeast and how it responds to high temps. Started an IPA this past season at high temps before moving it to temp controlled area and got some very noticeable fusel alcohols using US-05.

Fusel alcohols are always bad. The alcohol we want to make is ethanol. If you're into chemistry, that's two carbon atoms and one hydroxyl group. Methanol (which can make you go blind- think bad bad bad moonshine) has one carbon atom. Fusel alcohols have 3 or more carbons and can cause headaches and really nasty flavors.

Most ale yeasts will produce fusel (higher/bad) alcohols at high temps, but saison yeasts will not. Saison yeasts make delicious beers in other styles, like IPA (as was mentioned). Stone Brewing Company's "Cali-Belgique IPA" is exactly the same grain and hop bill as their regular IPA, but fermented warm with a saison yeast. If you can't control temps at all, I say go nuts with saison yeasts.

Ommegang Brewery makes a BPA, a Belgian Pale Ale, which is essentially an IPA made with Belgian style yeasts. I'm not sure if it is saison, but they ferment their beers at 75+. I'm going to dry hop my blond saison that I have in the fermenter right now.

Thanks for the info y'all , but bpas and belgo and just about anything I've tried have been funky to my pallet , theres a very heavy yeasty characteristic that I pick up Everytime I taste something anything Belgium

Yeah those yeasts are clean. I think you either love them or you don't. Maybe if you over pitch by a huge amount you can help make "better" beer. It wouldn't be great but maybe it would be better.

Yep , batch 2 came out tasting like funky , it was supposed to be an ipa , but the high temps turn it in what I can only describe as a over carbonated Newcastle with a shot of warm banana rum dumped into it .. Not what I wanted still gonna drank it ,but I wasn't happy with it .. Soooo I got batch 3 in 1st ferm , been in there for a week at those same high temps ,all bubbling had stopped after day 3 ... It's a partial grain imperial pale ale that we added an extra half oz of citra and bout a half oz of dried bitter orange peels at 60 mins ... Question --- can I rack it into a carboy and dry hop with a half oz of the citra and a half bitters after only a week ??? I think we should wait a full 2 weeks before going to the secondary .. But because of the hight temps and lack of action in the primary I was wondering if it's ok to rack after only a week ???

I agree that Saison's are they way to go for high temp fermentation and the style is broad enough to do different things with it. An IPA base with Saison yeast could be interesting.

I live in a pretty damn hot part of the world; Thailand. I have had great brews from Mauribrew ale yeast at up to,get this, 32c. No, you didnt misread that.
Go with a simple English/Aussie pale ale recipe of 80% Maris Otter(any other English ale malt would be ok) 10% crystal and 10% sugar(table OR soft brown). With that yeast it comes out like a Coopers but better.

Out of curiosity, has anyone every tried brewing beer with wine yeasts? I know Champagne yeast gets used fairly regularly to dry out high gravity beers, but some of the other wine yeasts you can get from white labs ferment up to 90F.

Back