Hot Water Mash Question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLubbert

Reaction score
Hey there partners:

I have a question. I've seen some thermodinamical equations about mixing boiling water to raise temperature or just with knowing the pound/gallon ratio and some temperatures the temperature you have to have the water before mixing.

Are there any bad opinions on this? I mean you are mixing very hot water with your grain. When i mix it i take care to mix it well so for the first grains, the water will be hot for a while. What happens to the enzimes of that grain? Do you guys mix it very fast to low the temperature?

I hope i expressed the idea good (my english is not that good)

Cheers
JLubbert

Howdy!

There's no problem. It takes some time for the grain and the water to reach equilibrium, but so long as you are stirring properly at most only a small amount of the grain spends any time above the recommended temperatures.

It's common practice to add the hot water slowly, typically stirring in between dumping, to help prevent "shocking" the grain.

Back