Hot Rod heat stick performance example

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a 1,650 + a 2,200 watt Hot Rod. Tested them this weekend.
B9D4F5A9-6F30-46D2-9BBF-BCC7A9A6D1C8.jpeg

8 gallons from 60 to 160 degrees in 30 min, then to a boil an additional 30 (I am at 1 mi. High).

I then added 5 gal more, to simulate a 10g batch, also got to boiling in 30.

The boil was mellow, I later read maybe I should have partially covered with a lid.

Anyhow, was very happy. I bought them to save some propane, and I never leave a burning propane burner unattended, these I would. Now, I can start heating water 1st, while bringing / setting up other gear. Should save at least 30 min. on brew days. I also will use these in multiple pots. And if the lid allows a vigorous boil (which I like), no propane.

Suggestions for an electric noob appreciated.

@Cyclman are those numbers above using only the hot rod (no stove/burner)?

I'm considering picking up one of these, in 1650 trim

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrodrtu.htm
I would use this to supplement my stove indoors in the winter and supplement my propane burner outside in the spring/summer/fall.

Do I need any special electrical work to use this, except for a GFCI outlet? Can I use the 2200 version?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have 2 1650w elements in my kettle and hlt. Cheap effective and better than gas. Good on you for making the step to electric brewing!

Oh, there is an inkbird controller for 100 bucks that can control one stick. If you pump your wort through your immersion chiller while it sits in your boil kettle or hlt now you have precise temp control.

Yeah, I eventually want to go 100% electric. In the meantime I am trying to avoid brewing outside since it's freezing in the northeast. My stove works, but it takes a long time and I don't get a very rigorous boil.

Does this speed up boil time on a stove?

Last edited:
Back