Hot Liquor Tank Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
Today I brewed my first all-grain batch, and one of the major challenges I faced was using my 5-gallon SS brew kettle as a HLT. My current set up (as of today) consists of a 5-gallon SS brew kettle as a HLT, a 10-gallon Igloo cooler mash tun, and a 9 gallon SS boil kettle. I looked at 8 gallon aluminum pots, as well as SS pots, and converted Igloo coolers. What are you all using for five gallon batches? I do batch sparging. Thanks!

Explain the "challenge". the only thing I could see is maybe you needed more sparge water volume than your 5 gal. kettle would hold? Maybe what I would do is collect your first runnings in the 5 gal kettle while heating your sparge water in the 9 gal. after you add your sparge water to your mash tun you can move your first runnings to the boil kettle and begin to heat that as you collect your 2nd runnings. Am I missing something else?

awiens said:
Today I brewed my first all-grain batch, and one of the major challenges I faced was using my 5-gallon SS brew kettle as a HLT. My current set up (as of today) consists of a 5-gallon SS brew kettle as a HLT, a 10-gallon Igloo cooler mash tun, and a 9 gallon SS boil kettle. I looked at 8 gallon aluminum pots, as well as SS pots, and converted Igloo coolers. What are you all using for five gallon batches? I do batch sparging. Thanks!

I use an 8 gal HLT, a 12 gal cooler and a 10 gal kettle. I fly sparge using a float valve in the tun.

Use your BK as HLT, collect runnings into food grade plastic pails... About 3 bucks from Walmart. I use this method for 5 and 10 gallon batches. I have a keggle I built for BK and mash tun

Back