Hosehead controller expansion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattym5

Reaction score
Anyone using the Hosehead controller? I'm interested in expansion for fermentation control but not sure how to go about this with the hosehead? Is there the ability to expand it or should i buy a second raspberry pi for fermentation?

Also I'm not sure where the SD card is on the hosehead controller. I want to replace it with a new one to test out CraftBeerPi 3.0 but not sure where it's located? Is it inside the case?

Also I'm not sure where the SD card is on the hosehead controller. I want to replace it with a new one to test out CraftBeerPi 3.0 but not sure where it's located? Is it inside the case?

Yes, it's inside the case, but pretty easy to get out (and insert).

If you want to try out CBP (it's what I'm using with my Hosehead, and I'd recommend it), you can either:

1) Get another microSD card, install the OS, then install CBP, and configure it.

or

2) Stop SBE from auto-starting, if configured, then just git clone CBP into it's own directory/folder.

No matter which way you go, make sure you write down the config of your current setup (which GPIO goes to what, and which temp probe goes to which kettle), to make configuring CBP much easier.

There are two versions of CBP out right now: 2.2, which is considered stable, and 3.0, which is considered beta.

I've been using 3.0 for 2 brews with NO problems, so I'd recommend that one, especially if you're using a Hosehead.

Perhaps others have had better luck than me, but I've not been able to get CBPi 3 to work reliably enough in testing to use it for brewing. Using PWM feature causes lockups. 2.2 works, but no boil control.... so make sure you have a fallback SD card, or wait until 3.0 is done being beta tested.

Hi all - I'm having some issues getting the boil kettle element configured with CBP 3.0. I've been doing very well with the hosehead/CBP 2.2 set up this past year but struggling to get 3.0 set up. Brewtronix seems to have fallen off the face of the earth as far as responding to folks.

>> I'm having some issues getting the boil kettle element configured with CBP 3.0

What kind of issues?

Do you also have another element (HLT), and if so, does that work?

Partially an honest issue and partially an idiot mistake. The honest issue was not knowing what GPIO to use for the BK element. I have to be honest here- while Corey's customer service used to be excellent, it's terrible now. I searched until I found that for hosehead the gpio is 28. The first launch of 3.0 only went to 27 but was fixed promptly by Manuel Fritsch. My next issue was forgetting to actually set the BK element set temp , hence the element cutting off immediately. I ran auto tune today. Everything is spot on. And I still love the hosehead despite some recent frustrations with brewtronix.

Back