Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The package say 75% to 82%. What do you think leave it be for another day or two?

I unplugged the brew belt. Do you think that should stay plugged in? According to Northbrewer/Omega 90F+ is not an issue. I'm plugging back in now.

I could probably now cover it now too. When it's stops I want it covered to protect any aroma it may have to keep in this beer. I do closed transfers.

I had 86% attenuation on a Green Bullet IPA. Started at 1.068 to 1.021 after 48 hours but after transfering it to secundary and dry hopping it ended up at 1.009 (ABV of 7.8%). This was all in 15 days. Bottled it yesterday with table sugar, didn't use any bottling yeast. I am pretty confident I get enough carbonation.
upload_2019-7-29_9-58-55.png

Got up this morning at 5:30. It's still cranking strong. It's got more of gap between bubbles and the number at a time has changed from 3 bubbles to 1. Visually it's coming to an end.

I'm relatively pleased at this point. Spunding also means attaching and further use of the brewbelt and continued heat.

People often get anxious and want to hurry things along.
Relax, kick back, drink a homebrew!
It will not hurt it at all to let it sit on the yeast for a few days AFTER all airlock activity has ended, and has a high likelihood of improving the beer.
RKBDAH!

I'm not trying to sound contrarian, but is anyone else just simply not a fan of this yeast? I tried a blonde at recommended temps in the 80s/90s and it isn't very good. Quite estery and "Homebrew" tasting.

I tried a red at low 70s. It's only been a week but I don't think it's going to be anything special either. I was hoping the low temp would result in the clean ferment everyone talks about. At this point I'm having a hard time imaging myself giving it a third try.

Anyone else share this sentiment?

The only thing I will say is this stuff drops clear faster than any other yeast I've used by a large margin.

Last edited:
Andre, sounds like it did not meet your expectations or is perhaps the wrong yeast for the styles you brewed and how you used it. I know it's more work but always try a new ingredient alongside one you already know in a split batch. It answers more questions than a batch in isolation or against foggy/fond memory. I know that in a low gravity, roasty stout with lactose, Hornindal rounded the edges of the dark grain as well as softened the sweetness I got from adding too much lactose. In the same wort fermented with 1056, roast and sweetness stuck out like elbows (sharp contrast). Each were clean but in different ways.

Schlenkerla, whatever happened to your FFT?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to sound contrarian, but is anyone else just simply not a fan of this yeast? I tried a blonde at recommended temps in the 80s/90s and it isn't very good. Quite estery and "Homebrew" tasting.

I tried a red at low 70s. It's only been a week but I don't think it's going to be anything special either. I was hoping the low temp would result in the clean ferment everyone talks about. At this point I'm having a hard time imaging myself giving it a third try.

The only thing I will say is this stuff drops clear faster than any other yeast I've used by a large margin.

I'm also wondering about this. Everyone seems to gush about how fast the yeast is and how it can ferment hot, but not nearly as many people gush about the flavor of their beers. I can see using it if you don't have temp control, but for those who do, is it really that great?

I don’t understand- you have access to temperature control and you want to brew a Belgian-style beer, so why on earth would you want to use a non-phenolic yeast like the Omega kveiks? Pretty much by definition , a Belgian beer requires a significant contribution from a phenolic yeast, otherwise it’s not Belgian.

Having said that, if you want clean then you want Hothead, and fermenting cooler will always be cleaner than fermenting warm, but it seems you don’t actually want to make Belgian beer.

I have to agree - looks more like a light-colored Pale than a Belgian. May well be very tasty, but reluctant to badge it with "Belgian style"

You might get a higher response rate in a separate thread, as the title of this one probably attracts a “fan club.” Here, Andre3000, you’ll just be an OutKast.

I'm also wondering about this. Everyone seems to gush about how fast the yeast is and how it can ferment hot, but not nearly as many people gush about the flavor of their beers. I can see using it if you don't have temp control, but for those who do, is it really that great?

I have a beer fermenting (galaxy/Nelson/El Dorado NEIPA) right now in my chest freezer at 85F. I’m going to try to turn it around in 4-5 days. If it comes out good, it will be a nice quick turnaround option....if it’s just ok...I’ll just set my fermenter at 66 and wait a few more days with a non Kveik yeast. Seems like the main advantage if for those that lack temp control. I guess I’ll see in a few days.

Edit: I pitched probably half the pack of yeast and made a starter with the other half. After 24hrs I picked up my flask off the stir plate and watched the yeast drop leaving nearly clear beer in about a minute....crazy how it dropped so fast at room temp.

Last edited:
Did a NEIPA last week with Hornindal strain. Fermented at 90f and underpitched as advised. It was done in a couple days. Already kegged on day 7 and so far not pleased with the orange marmalade / orange popsicle aftertaste it imparted. Almost tastes artificial orangey as opposed to citrusy that I normally get from my NEIPAs. Anyone else find this to be true?

Did a NEIPA last week with Hornindal strain. Fermented at 90f and underpitched as advised. It was done in a couple days. Already kegged on day 7 and so far not pleased with the orange marmalade / orange popsicle aftertaste it imparted. Almost tastes artificial orangey as opposed to citrusy that I normally get from my NEIPAs. Anyone else find this to be true?

I have heard it described as 5hr energy like aftertaste....however I haven’t heard it from everyone so I’ve been crossing my fingers. Hopefully it fades over time since your beer is young? Going to sample mine tomorrow

I did a IPA with Sigmund voss bottled last week and I have that orange taste, but I like it, complements well the citra and mosaic hops
I'm finishing a neipa with the same yeast fermented at higher temp but didn't notice the intense orange aroma when fermenting as the first one

For the Blonde, you would definitely get alot of esters st they level, something most users start to get after hitting the low 80s and up. For that kind of style if you wanted it to be a clean blond you would really need to be fermenting low, like in the 60s.

As for the Red, what sort of flavours are you getting?

I'm not being critical in the least here, so don't I hope it doesn't come across like I am, but I feel you may be using the wrong type of yeast and temps for the style of beer you are looking to make.

You need to just go with it, since you already spent your 10 Dolla...

Last edited:
Andre, sounds like it did not meet your expectations or is perhaps the wrong yeast for the styles you brewed and how you used it. I know it's more work but always try a new ingredient alongside one you already know in a split batch. It answers more questions than a batch in isolation or against foggy/fond memory. I know that in a low gravity, roasty stout with lactose, Hornindal rounded the edges of the dark grain as well as softened the sweetness I got from adding too much lactose. In the same wort fermented with 1056, roast and sweetness stuck out like elbows (sharp contrast). Each were clean but in different ways.

Schlenkerla, whatever happened to your FFT?
It's stopped at 1.013. Maybe lower since my fermentor had the belt.

For the Blonde, you would definitely get alot of esters st they level, something most users start to get after hitting the low 80s and up. For that kind of style if you wanted it to be a clean blond you would really need to be fermenting low, like in the 60s.

I'm not being critical in the least here, so don't I hope it doesn't come across like I am, but I feel you may be using the wrong type of yeast and temps for the style of beer you are looking to make.

^
+1
Remember that this is a Norwegian yeast developed for Norwegian beers. You wouldn't use Belgian high gravity in your IPA? Maybe some juniper water would balance the citrus esters?

I found I got an almost overwhelming backend orange peel like flavor the first time I used it. Almost like biting right into the rind on an orange. It eventually mellowed out over the next couple of weeks. Second round, I had an IPA with more hops then the first one and it melded right in and complimented them nicely.

No I agree 100%! I wonder if that's where the unmet expectation is here for me. If you took 3068 and expected to make a clean blonde with it you'd be... Well, probably not not expecting what you'd get.

I do think I've maybe tried to brew the wrong beers for this yeast. It's just with all the sentiment I thought I'd read they resulted in clean ferments at relatively high temps. Anyway this is part of the joy of this hobby for me.

Mo brews mo data ;).

No I agree 100%! I wonder if that's where the unmet expectation is here for me. If you took 3068 and expected to make a clean blonde with it you'd be... Well, probably not not expecting what you'd get.

I do think I've maybe tried to brew the wrong beers for this yeast. It's just with all the sentiment I thought I'd read they resulted in clean ferments at relatively high temps. Anyway this is part of the joy of this hobby for me.

Mo brews mo data ;).

Hey if we didn't try zany and crazy experiments, let alone the just plain wierd, we wouldn't have any of the beautiful and unique styles if beer we love.

Though a citrus forward pseudo lager does sound rather appealing when I think about it.

Citrus forward pseudo lager is just what I'll be trying for. I recently got a pouch of this yeast and thinking of making a SMASH with Viking pilsner(which seems to me to be somewhere between pilsner and two row) and Amarillo.

My question is; is around 75F a good temp for that? I can get that right now in cellar without chilling or heating.

Going to be weird adding heat in summer when I just got conical fermentor summer cooling capability. Mainly a lager maker. But will be easy to do with same system that keeps lagers working when cellar is in the 40'sF.

Yeah, I'm in southern Arizona, and my main struggle is keeping my fermenters cool enough. The Hornindal should be a no brainer, but my main tastes lie with Belgians, British barleywines, and wee heavy Scotch ales. I am contemplating a tripel with the kveik, though.

Got a Wee Heavy fermented with the Voss(I know this is a Hornindal thread but follow me) in a second run whisky barrel(rye). I've found that the darker beers work very well with the Voss esters. I pitch a normal rate (.75 ml/*p) at 68* and wrap it up. It will take itself to 90* and finish in 3-4 days. I let it be for 14 - 21 days(like normal) and then package or age. I've done 2 RIS barrel aged , the Wee Heavy and a Wheat Wine, all were tasting close to style but the main thing is they are Delicious!
On to the Honindal. Been brewing pale ales with this one at different pitch rates and temps but they are all drinkable in 9 days for me, without any off flavors or that yeasty taste. I have a friend that did a 10 barrel pale ale and it hit 104* and had no,( I Mean None) VDK's after 30 hrs. My beers tend to last 6-8 weeks in the kegerator and the beers fermented with Kveik mature and change along the way just like other yeasts,it's just that they're drinkable way sooner.

Any idea what brew I mentioned in post #461 would be like fermented around 75F? Actual cellar temp is 73 right now, but I imagine the fermentation would run a few degrees warmer.

Got a Wee Heavy fermented with the Voss(I know this is a Hornindal thread but follow me) in a second run whisky barrel(rye). I've found that the darker beers work very well with the Voss esters. I pitch a normal rate (.75 ml/*p) at 68* and wrap it up. It will take itself to 90* and finish in 3-4 days. I let it be for 14 - 21 days(like normal) and then package or age. I've done 2 RIS barrel aged , the Wee Heavy and a Wheat Wine, all were tasting close to style but the main thing is they are Delicious!
On to the Honindal. Been brewing pale ales with this one at different pitch rates and temps but they are all drinkable in 9 days for me, without any off flavors or that yeasty taste. I have a friend that did a 10 barrel pale ale and it hit 104* and had no,( I Mean None) VDK's after 30 hrs. My beers tend to last 6-8 weeks in the kegerator and the beers fermented with Kveik mature and change along the way just like other yeasts,it's just that they're drinkable way sooner.

I brewed a very strong wee heavy yesterday (1.130 OG). Using Edinburgh ale yeast, but after primary, I'm thinking about aging it in a rye cask. Should be an interesting taste tweak.

Any idea what brew I mentioned in post #461 would be like fermented around 75F? Actual cellar temp is 73 right now, but I imagine the fermentation would run a few degrees warmer.

My guess would be muted citrus flavours and minor sulphur if going much lower than that.

You could always try underpitching to force the yeast into giving more flavours.

Did a quick yeast wash. I got good amount of yeast.

This is 1/2 gallon jar.

I'm wondering if I should dry it or split it into several smaller mason jars.
IMG_20190802_164814.jpeg

My Hornindal blonde went from having a slight farmhouse funk at one week to up at mostly cleanedtwo with with slight head to now at three having a citrus with just a hint of of funk/earthiness and holds a good head for a minute or two. All Viking malts pale ale/pilsner/crystal. Used the C hops and kept IBU low to taste the yeast. Sure wish I had harvested some yeast.

My Hornindal blonde went from having a slight farmhouse funk at one week to up at mostly cleanedtwo with with slight head to now at three having a citrus with just a hint of of funk/earthiness and holds a good head for a minute or two. All Viking malts pale ale/pilsner/crystal. Used the C hops and kept IBU low to taste the yeast. Sure wish I had harvested some yeast.
Nice looking beer. Buy another pack Hornindal.

Are you kegging or bottling?

Either way I think you could make a starter from bottle dregs or keg dregs. It's easy if you have stir plate. Not impossible if you don't. If don't, you can use a sanitzed plastic soda bottle with with wort and dregs. All you gotta do combine some fresh starter wort and dregs then keep on the kitchen counter. Keep the cap on lose. Give it a few side to side shakes every time you pass by it during the day or at beer refills. If the top of your fridge is warm, that might be the ideal place to keep it.

I started up a starter yesterday for overbuilding and storage purposes, and at 70f it's throwing a bunch of sulfur. Is this this typical? Do full batch ferments at lower-than-hot temps exhibit this sulfur, too? Does it translate to the end result, or does it clean up after itself? Hoping this starter is viable to store for later use.

I started up a starter yesterday for overbuilding and storage purposes, and at 70f it's throwing a bunch of sulfur. Is this this typical? Do full batch ferments at lower-than-hot temps exhibit this sulfur, too? Does it translate to the end result, or does it clean up after itself? Hoping this starter is viable to store for later use.
Mine didn't do diddly squat until it got some warm temps. Roughly 36 hours with a 1 quart starter pitched. In the future, my starter will sit in a crock pot, set to warm, with the lid off soaking in a water bath.

Nice looking beer. Buy another pack Hornindal.

Are you kegging or bottling?

Either way I think you could make a starter from bottle dregs or keg dregs. It's easy if you have stir plate. Not impossible if you don't. If don't, you can use a sanitzed plastic soda bottle with with wort and dregs. All you gotta do combine some fresh starter wort and dregs then keep on the kitchen counter. Keep the cap on lose. Give it a few side to side shakes every time you pass by it during the day or at beer refills. If the top of your fridge is warm, that might be the ideal place to keep it.
I bottle right now.. there is a bit of dregs in each bottle and I will take your advice and see if I can capture and build them up.

I found I got an almost overwhelming backend orange peel like flavor the first time I used it. Almost like biting right into the rind on an orange. It eventually mellowed out over the next couple of weeks. Second round, I had an IPA with more hops then the first one and it melded right in and complimented them nicely.

Yeah, I'm kind of getting this in my first one too. Still turned into a pretty good NEIPA but not my favorite. My wife commented that it was a little more bitter than some of my others but I used no bittering charge and kept the IBUs pretty low. But there is a distinct bitter rind flavor. It's still pretty green though at slightly over one week in the keg. I have 2 more batches dry hopping with the hornindal yeast and I plan to do several more after that so I'm withholding judgement of it until I've experimented a lot more.

I started up a starter yesterday for overbuilding and storage purposes, and at 70f it's throwing a bunch of sulfur. Is this this typical?

Trying this out for the first time. I just made a starter (only 1.5L and package was slightly over 3 months) on a stir-plate at room temp and it went crazy, but I didn't get any sulfur. The starter went crazy in like 30 minutes, and it was throwing a kind of pleasant sweet smell.

Pitched half the starter yesterday at ~1400 and now at ~0900 my tilt is showing it chewed through almost 40 points already. This stuff is insane, I had visible aggressive activity within 2 hours (that's when I noticed anyways). Fermenting at 95F and I'm still not getting any sulfur...

Last edited:
Been reading this thread for a long time. Finally brewed with Hornindal today. 1 hour later, it's already doing it's thing! I made a starter to keep some for another brew and it overflowed! It's at 90 now and I hope to keep it about 92-94.

But, if I plan to keg this in 1 week, how soon should I dry hop? Lots of thoughts here but I don't recall seeing anyone post back after they tried what they said they were. I'm thinking on day 3. So, thoughts?

Been reading this thread for a long time. Finally brewed with Hornindal today. 1 hour later, it's already doing it's thing! I made a starter to keep some for another brew and it overflowed! It's at 90 now and I hope to keep it about 92-94.

But, if I plan to keg this in 1 week, how soon should I dry hop? Lots of thoughts here but I don't recall seeing anyone post back after they tried what they said they were. I'm thinking on day 3. So, thoughts?
Or day two.

Back