Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For cold crashing and aging a bit before bottling. Also have a 5 liter starter of Hornindal that I'm cold crashing at the same time, to harvest yeast uncontaminated with hops and fruit. (the beer had cranberry puree added). Doing it all at the same time while I have the temp dialed down.

Why secondary?

I allways do that to get rid of the yeast at the bottom. Although it is not dead it is inactive and serves no use anymore. Eventually the cells of the inactive yeast at the bottom will break open giving off flavors to your bear.

I allways do that to get rid of the yeast at the bottom. Although it is not dead it is inactive and serves no use anymore. Eventually the cells of the inactive yeast at the bottom will break open giving off flavors to your bear.
People here stored the beer for more than three months on the yeast... It won't produce off flavours. It clears off flavours, it's not completely inactive and you introduce oxygen during transfer, so probably a better idea to leave it on it, if your are not aging it for a long time.

Taste test is a little sour to my taste, but that may change with a little time in the bottle.
I don't keg, I bottle. Cold crashing removes about 98-99% of the yeast, but there is still enough for bottle conditioning.

Still a little cloudy, but tastes better this morning. Went ahead and bottled it, need room in the freezer for a quadrupel I brewed this morning.

Now I need a nap before tackling the cleanup!

For cold crashing and aging a bit before bottling. Also have a 5 liter starter of Hornindal that I'm cold crashing at the same time, to harvest yeast uncontaminated with hops and fruit. (the beer had cranberry puree added). Doing it all at the same time while I have the temp dialed down.

While I almost never secondary, this is the exact scenario where I would. I prefer to get the beer off the trub before adding fruit.

Hows the flavor? Were you able to produce the citrus esters that Horindal is famous for?

Yes. I tasted it last night, and thought it was too sour. I bottled it a couple hours ago, and it is now a bit sweeter. Still a bit cloudy, about 5 SRM. I was hoping for a little more color contribution from the cranberries, but I will wait a few weeks for the final verdict.

And, the added bonus, about a quart of reasonably clean yeast to wash and freeze!

What's the latency of this yeast I pitched a starter of Hornindal and Wednesday at midnight at it's doing nothing right now.

So I opened my fermentor.

It has a little krausen but no gas is blowing off.

This is what I see.... I'm letting it breathe to see if this activates anything.

It's worked on hefeweizen before. Just opening it and the krausen changed and rose like a loaf of bread.
IMG_20190726_113955.jpeg

.... Brew belt.

I'm leaving this thing open for a few hours then check on later.

The lid is wrapped in tin foil in case it needs to go back on. I assume the Norwegians at one point just did open fermentation.

IMG_20190726_120304.jpeg

I'm back at work but it was about 73F at lunch. The brewbelt should have it in the 80s I'd think. It's typically for basement brewing. I'm headed home shortly to check on it.

That krausen looks familiar. Kinda like wyeast west Yorkshire if you ever used it. Kind of peanut buttery on top and may stick around for awhile evenf if near FG. That will eventually fall if roused and will drop clear.

I've decided to leave it open since I have the brew belt on the fermentor.

I had some S04 ready to pitch. If it's not dropped by Sunday night I'm letting Fermentus take over.

The refractometer still said 14.6% brix.

Looks a little darker, maybe my batch of Yeast is a slow learner. Temp is 80F with the brewbelt on for 4 hours.View attachment 637390

80 sounds more like it for Horindal. Curious as to the reasoning for the lower temps? Are you shooting for a really clean profile? If its hot where you live, cover it and throw it in the garage or someplace warmer.

80 sounds more like it for Horindal. Curious as to the reasoning for the lower temps? Are you shooting for a really clean profile? If its hot where you live, cover it and throw it in the garage or someplace warmer.
No my personal comfort... LoL.

I leave my work apartment for the weekend, so while I'm gone I crank it up to 85.

Is that a corrected refractometer reading? Do you use a hydrometer?
Yeah, I do. I usually pull a sample at high krausen for both refractometer and/or hydrometer checks. A fast ferment test (FFT). This seemed to never take off. Even with a starter. The starter was not great. It's as if the yeast would only suspend during agitation. Other than that it settled quickly. But it smelled like it was doing something. Tart and tropical smelling.

I certainly get having the temp set for personal comfort. Just from I’ve read and my experience with Voss I personally would’t have made a starter. It almost sounds like you got a funky batch though. I threw 1 tbsp Voss into a 1.080+ batch at 90+ and it went off within an hour. Never got a huge krausen though. I wouldn’t worry about it to much. Just let it ride

I certainly get having the temp set for personal comfort. Just from I’ve read and my experience with Voss I personally would’t have made a starter. It almost sounds like you got a funky batch though. I threw 1 tbsp Voss into a 1.080+ batch at 90+ and it went off within an hour. Never got a huge krausen though. I wouldn’t worry about it to much. Just let it ride
Batch of Hornindal is from January.

I bought a couple packs of the Hornindal for culturing. I put in a 2 liter starter, and I noticed also it flocculated and settled very fast. I had it on a stir plate, but would run the stir plate for 5 or 10 minutes and then shut it off, it would settle out again within half an hour. Still, it did ferment my homemade canned wort, it was just a bit sluggish about it. Like they say, relax, kick back, and drink a Homebrew!

It floccs crazy heavy.

When I racked off to harvest the yeast, I was able to have my BB nearly 45° angle before the slurry even budged on the top and I had to shake it rigorously to get it to come up to go for storage.

People regularly comment, and complain, about the too heavy of flocc for things like secondary fermentation and bottling as well

As for the time, at your temp I have read about it taking that long for it to have signs of fermentation. At 85+ is when you hear about the stories of it being full krauzen in a few hours

I haven't had any issues with Hornindal and bottling. Just as with the rest of 75 batches brewed up to this point, Hornindal chewed fast through the sugars and I had pleasent carbonation at 4-5 days in the bottle.

I bought a couple packs of the Hornindal for culturing. I put in a 2 liter starter, and I noticed also it flocculated and settled very fast. I had it on a stir plate, but would run the stir plate for 5 or 10 minutes and then shut it off, it would settle out again within half an hour. Still, it did ferment my homemade canned wort, it was just a bit sluggish about it. Like they say, relax, kick back, and drink a Homebrew!
It floccs crazy heavy.

When I racked off to harvest the yeast, I was able to have my BB nearly 45° angle before the slurry even budged on the top and I had to shake it rigorously to get it to come up to go for storage.

People regularly comment, and complain, about the too heavy of flocc for things like secondary fermentation and bottling as well

As for the time, at your temp I have read about it taking that long for it to have signs of fermentation. At 85+ is when you hear about the stories of it being full krauzen in a few hours
Appreciate both of your posts!

So I've followed this thread for a few weeks. I just bought a NEIPA kit and Omega Hornindal and am ready to try it out. I heard on the podcast "The Brew Files/Experimental Brewing" that a brewer using Kveik said it can leave the beer a little thin and the brewer used maltodextrin to thicken it instead of lactose. It sounded like he said he used a third of a pack of yeast which sounds like more than what you all have been using. I had a really thin Kveik IPA this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I'd love to try this but I'd definitely love to nail it on my first go.

My batch of pale ale with Hornindal got busy with the wort when it got some warmth....

The temp in my place 85F. However with brew belt it's at 92F. (See picture)

The krausen lifted a good inch over the weekend and has dropped...

She still smells tropical. Not nearly as much as on Friday.

She was at 14.6% Brix 1.057 at pitching time and on Friday. Now she's at 8.6-8.8 % Brix so it's about 1.020 right now. To be sure I need to take a standard gravity reading. I didn't program the refractometer correction factor. I'm using the default. It's been pretty accurate.

For the record this was a open ferment for nearly all of the "Active" fermentation. Closed 36 hours before uncovering. Thinking during the yeast growth phase.

FWIW - I'm calling it "Kveik Like Duck" Pale Ale I used

6lbs of German Pilsner
6lbs of German Malt
1/2 lb of sour malt or acidulated (home made from the pale malt)

1/2 oz of Azacca at 60. (10.4% AAU)
1/2 oz of Azacca at 5. (10.4% AAU)
1 oz of Mosaic "Cryo" at flame out/whirlpool (24% AAU)

IBU should be about 38. According to Brewer's Friend.

ABV 6.7% expected FG is 1.016 if attenuation is 75%.

Of course the Hornindal was used. Omega OYL-091.
IMG_20190728_222646.jpeg
IMG_20190728_222703.jpeg
IMG_20190728_222835.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you'll get higher attenuation than that.
The package say 75% to 82%. What do you think leave it be for another day or two?

I unplugged the brew belt. Do you think that should stay plugged in? According to Northbrewer/Omega 90F+ is not an issue. I'm plugging back in now.

I could probably now cover it now too. When it's stops I want it covered to protect any aroma it may have to keep in this beer. I do closed transfers.

Shazam!!!! She's blipping away already within minutes of dropping the lid on to my fermentor.. It's connected to the keg purge and growler blow-off

The left most fermentor is the Hornindal.
IMG_20190728_234327.jpeg

Slightly better picture.

CO2 Discharge of the fermentor is connected to beer OUT and the gas IN is connected to the growler blow off.

At keg filling time I swap the hoses at the 1/4 flare swivel. Then attach the growler hose to the fermentor drain valve also (1/4 flare) and let it fill, via gravity, to about 49-50lbs and spund. I have 3oz of sugar in keg as a back up if I missed my spund timing window. I expect this to be the case.

Maybe not. It's passing 3 bubbles every 4 seconds.
IMG_20190728_234636.jpeg

Latest posts

Back