Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m honestly starting to wonder whether this yeast actually leaves anything to clean up. I’ve pushed the limits in a very light beer (White Ale with ABV of 4.2%) by racking to the keg after only 48 hours, as the Tilt indicated it had reached 1.008 by the 18-hour mark. This was fermented in the upper 90s Fahrenheit. No discernible off-flavors.View attachment 649064

That's my thought too. Been brewing several batches with Hornindal and mostly with Voss. Last Sunday I brewed a 1050 OG Citra Pale Ale. Pitched at 95F and 3 hours later was fermenting. 36 hours later, on Tuesday morning was already completely done reaching its1010 FG. Waited another day just to be safe and it was still done at 1010. Kegged it Wednesday night. Forced carbonated the next 2 days and drinking it on Friday night 5 days after brew day. Grain to Glass 5 days! Beer is amazing and people loved it. It's unreal how fast this yeast goes through wort leaving no off flavors. Makes all other yeast look like a bunch of spoiled brats.

I've never seen a yeast go like this one. It rolled along for 2 days like a normal yeast. Got up this morning and there is a constant stream of bubbles, the air lock is literally "motor boating!" CRAZY!

For folks who have bottled with this yeast...I usually like my beers carbed to around 2.75 volumes co2. Brewers friend says to use 6 oz of corn sugar based on my 85* Max temp. First, given the aggressive nature of this yeast is it sketchy to try to increase the carbonation level? I have about 5 oz of corn sugar on hand and would top it off with a little table sugar.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

For anyone who has used the original culture of Hornindal with the bacteria still present, have you noticed the smell from it seems to persist, even on glass? I just opened an empty glass jug I used to ferment a batch with this culture and that funky smell hit me in the face and has me a little concerned since about a week ago I soaked the hell out of that jug with homemade PBW at 170°F or so for like 3 hours and followed up with star-san. My bottling bucket still has a trace smell of it as well. Debating getting a new bucket and spigot now... and bottling wand...

@OnePlate where did you get your yeast? I just royally screwed a batch with the Omega Hornindal. The screw up was all mine, but it has that sour funky nasty taste that I associate with contamination and I was just thinking I hope I didn't just contaminate my gear...

I'm going to try this yeast for only the second time. First time at 97 it was (actually, still is) awesome. Should be a house pale but, I plan on making a NEIPA for my nieces wedding. I am pretty sure I won't be able to get it to 97 this time. Likely, only the upper 70;s, lower 80's so what should I expect at that temperature?

@OnePlate where did you get your yeast? I just royally screwed a batch with the Omega Hornindal. The screw up was all mine, but it has that sour funky nasty taste that I associate with contamination and I was just thinking I hope I didn't just contaminate my gear...
You “should” be fine. As far as I understand Omega removes the bacteria. I’ve read this elsewhere but don’t know for a fact. I’ve used hornindal several times with success, but just did a batch with the omega strain where I let it get very hot, like 110, and I’m getting a lot of that funky rotten egg smell. The beer is drinkable and hopefully it will fade a bit, but I definitely now know what some of the previous posters were talking about.

@HopsAreGood yeah that's kind of what happened to me. I thought the fermentation had gotten stuck, so I heated it back up but it got over 110 and it has totally soured. Tastes disgusting. Getting ready to dump it and sterilize the crap it of my gear.

but just did a batch with the omega strain where I let it get very hot, like 110, and I’m getting a lot of that funky rotten egg smell. The beer is drinkable and hopefully it will fade a bit, but I definitely now know what some of the previous posters were talking about.

The sulfur aromas are probably the result of nutrient limitation at high activity rates stimulated by the elevated temperature; Kveik strains are known to have high nutrient requirements. Also, 110 is pushing the envelope for most Kveik yeast, so you could have some yeast stress also producing sulfides.

Bacterial infections don't tend to cause "rhino fart" type sulfide (H2S) aromas, rather bacteria tend to give dirty sock, vomit, bile, or acetic type of notes. I'm speaking in general terms and am assuming Omega has high QC standards with no bacteria are present in their yeasts.

The sulfur aromas are probably the result of nutrient limitation at high activity rates stimulated by the elevated temperature; Kveik strains are known to have high nutrient requirements. Also, 110 is pushing the envelope for most Kveik yeast, so you could have some yeast stress also producing sulfides.

Bacterial infections don't tend to cause "rhino fart" type sulfide (H2S) aromas, rather bacteria tend to give dirty sock, vomit, bile, or acetic type of notes. I'm speaking in general terms and am assuming Omega has high QC standards with no bacteria are present in their yeasts.
I completely agree. I have used the omega version of hornindal successfully several times. This time I accidentally let it get way too hot and that’s my fault.

During the middle of fermentation the smell coming from the airlock was amazing...incredibly tropical and fruity. Had it around 95-98. It dropped down
to around 90 so I plugged the heat wrap back in and accidentally forgot about. Went out for a few hours and came back and it was up to 110. The smell coming from the airlock had drastically changed to that rotten egg/rhino fart smell.

I will say that every time I use Kveik I use double the amount of yeast nutrient. This time was no different.

@Beer-lord my temp schedule was to hold it at 85 for 3 days and then let it slowly cool to ambient 75-76. It was a little sweet and had strong tropical aromas and flavors. Mango, pineapple, a little citrus or orange too, but that may have been from the 2 Oz of late addition citra hops. It was a very interesting and unique flavor that I think would be very refreshing and enjoyable to drink. I'm super bummed I ruined it. Good luck with yours.
Cheers!

Isn't there anybody who had the balls to ferment this one with bittering hops only, to see what the yeast actually brings to the table?

Isn't there anybody who had the balls to ferment this one with bittering hops only, to see what the yeast actually brings to the table?
Would like to see this too. Could conceivably be drinking it 3-4 days after brewing. Or faster depending on OG.

@Beer-lord my temp schedule was to hold it at 85 for 3 days and then let it slowly cool to ambient 75-76. It was a little sweet and had strong tropical aromas and flavors. Mango, pineapple, a little citrus or orange too, but that may have been from the 2 Oz of late addition citra hops. It was a very interesting and unique flavor that I think would be very refreshing and enjoyable to drink. I'm super bummed I ruined it. Good luck with yours.
Cheers!
Thanks! My plan is to chill down to 90, pitch the yeast and find the warmest place in the house or utility room to keep it close to between 85-90 as I can the first 2 days. By then, the majority of the fermentation will be done and the temp on the way down.

Thanks! My plan is to chill down to 90, pitch the yeast and find the warmest place in the house or utility room to keep it close to between 85-90 as I can the first 2 days. By then, the majority of the fermentation will be done and the temp on the way down.
I made a cozy for my fermenter out of the 2 layer reflectix insulation that covered all 4 sides and it worked like a champ. Only lost about 2-3* over the first 3 days. After fermentation started to slow the temp loss was faster, but it was done in about 4 days.

I'm still waiting for the day someone finds a nice clean ale yeast that works well at room temperature, like 68F to 80F. Either have to cool them (68F or lower) or heat them (Kveik 95F+).

All the Best,
D. White
Sigmund gjernes Voss Kveik give a clean flavour at lower temps. Some even call it lager like without the need to lager. David Heath has YouTube videos on this topic

An interesting study by Escarpment Labs on a variety of Kveik yeasts and their pitch rates, including Horindal and Voss.

"it looks like there is a trend for increased aroma intensity for some of the kveiks (Voss and Hornindal) as the pitch rate decreases."
While this thread is specifically about Hornindal, I do think it's important to point out that the study also finds that this trend is not true for all kveiks. Specifically, Ebbegarden and Arset did not have this characteristic.

There's a lot of cool science to unpack there and I think an important takeaway should be that not all kveik follow the same ruleset as it's often touted.

(Not trying to devalue your post, just add to it so that if someone comes along and doesn't read the study they don't try to apply the Voss and Hornindal result to another kveik)

An interesting study by Escarpment Labs on a variety of Kveik yeasts and their pitch rates, including Horindal and Voss.

"it looks like there is a trend for increased aroma intensity for some of the kveiks (Voss and Hornindal) as the pitch rate decreases."
Its a good study and all but they didn't test at the right temps for each of the Kveik types. Voss for example makes a cleaner beer at lower temps, but is a bit slower. I'm not sure the study is viable to us as brewers when tested in this way.

Does this need a starter? I have only ever used 1318 for my yeast and always make a starter, but seems like that yeast doesn't need one?

I used a stranda from maniacal yeast 5 days grain to glass. Here is a picture of the fermenter after transfer on day 3. 10lbs 2-row 1lb c20. 2 oz cascade

IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG

I don't know that it takes balls to do that. I brewed a light beer with the base malt split between Weyermann Pale Ale and Barke Pils with just Mt. Hood to around 20 IBU. It was a fantastic beer, one of my favorites. Kind of like a kolsch with some fruitier esters. Definitely going to be a go-to in the summer months, especially if Lallamand puts out this dry version of Voss, I'll be ordering up some of that.

I decided to do a Russian imperial Stout tomorrow and this thread got me interested in using a omega Hornindal pack I was planning on using for an neipa. The pack is from August and am wondering if anyone has suggestions on pitch rate here? Should I make a starter first and pitch some of that or just a tablespoon or two of the slurry from the pack? Underpitch and ferment at 85?

I decided to do a Russian imperial Stout tomorrow and this thread got me interested in using a omega Hornindal pack I was planning on using for an neipa. The pack is from August and am wondering if anyone has suggestions on pitch rate here? Should I make a starter first and pitch some of that or just a tablespoon or two of the slurry from the pack? Underpitch and ferment at 85?
Check this out, all you want to know about kveik yeasts, pitchrates etc. http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

What I did, the Omega pack is 100ml, after shaking the pack very well I devided it in 5 X 20ml in little containers like below because you should underpitch. I then used two of them for a brew of 4.5 gallon and put the rest in the fridge. Beer came out very nice and everyone at the bbq for which I brewed it liked it very much.
20190713_133215.jpg
20190804_175940.jpg

Last edited:
For my RIS I made a starter and pitched a standard amount for a 1.090 wort. Started the fermentation at 77* and let climb to 86*(it might have gotten higher) then set my controller for 86* to finish at 1.019. It is now in a barrel(second pull), can't wait! Oh the taste, it's my new go to yeast for big beers,also used it on a mead (12%). Just very clean in the 77-86 range when using a standard pitch rate.

Cheers!
Finally got to brew yesterday. Pitched some at 91 degrees in a 1.052 beer at 1 pm (don't want the wedding to be full of drunks) and by 8 pm, it was booking it! Woke up this morning and it's sitting at 87 and no airlock activity. I know that means nothing but I don't doubt it's nearly done. I think I overpitched anyway but the room the fermenter is in smelled damn good. Gonna dry hop tomorrow and keg in 5 days.

First time using this yeast. Pitched yesterday around 4:00 PM. OG was 1.048. 6:30 this morning it was at 1.036. I checked when i got home tonight and its at 1.010. Damn that was fast. I usually like to close vale and build pressure at the end and start my dry hop. How should I finish this out? It’s set to 90 f. Should I drop the temp now to drop yeast? I like to dry hop low to mid 60s.

I had a question along these lines too. Next weekend, I'll be brewing an oatmeal stout with about a 1.062 OG. My plan, originally, was to use Wyeast 1098 British Ale, but I've since ordered another batch of ingredients with the Omega Voss Kveik. Most of the research I've done says that it would be fine across a lot of different styles including a stout, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum.

My main deal is that I'll brew on Saturday next week, then I leave the country for 10 days on Wednesday. I don't want to do any temp control if I can avoid it which led me to wanting to try the kveik. Anyone else have experience using a kveik in a stout at mostly room temperature? I expect it to be clean and not have as much of the British character, but I really don't care that much for it to be to any certain style.

I had a question along these lines too. Next weekend, I'll be brewing an oatmeal stout with about a 1.062 OG. My plan, originally, was to use Wyeast 1098 British Ale, but I've since ordered another batch of ingredients with the Omega Voss Kveik. Most of the research I've done says that it would be fine across a lot of different styles including a stout, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the forum.

My main deal is that I'll brew on Saturday next week, then I leave the country for 10 days on Wednesday. I don't want to do any temp control if I can avoid it which led me to wanting to try the kveik. Anyone else have experience using a kveik in a stout at mostly room temperature? I expect it to be clean and not have as much of the British character, but I really don't care that much for it to be to any certain style.
At room temp Kveik makes clean beer. It will be more than finished by the time you get back. Don't forget yeast nutrient.

At room temp Kveik makes clean beer. It will be more than finished by the time you get back. Don't forget yeast nutrient.

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I add yeast nutrient to every brew I do, so that won't be a problem. Do the kveik's take more yeast nutrient than normal? Also, would I be okay leaving the beer in primary for 3 or 4 weeks? I typically don't secondary and being a bigger beer, I figured it wouldn't hurt to batch condition for a week or two longer than normal. That and I need to get through some bottles!

I just used this yeast for the first time and did not use any nutrients. Did not seem to be an issue as it reached FG in 24 hours. Is a nutrient recommended?

On lower Gravity beers Kveik have stalled for many. It comes from 100s of years brewing highgravity beer so its used to more nutrients. I have never taken the chance. I use a tspoon in every batch.

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I add yeast nutrient to every brew I do, so that won't be a problem. Do the kveik's take more yeast nutrient than normal? Also, would I be okay leaving the beer in primary for 3 or 4 weeks? I typically don't secondary and being a bigger beer, I figured it wouldn't hurt to batch condition for a week or two longer than normal. That and I need to get through some bottles!
If it's like other yeast in this respect I don't think it will ruin the beer to leave it for that long in primary but I've never tried it myself, since the purpose of this yeast is fast fermented Beer. Normally it reaches FG in 2-3 days. Also its been reported not to need condition time. So grain to glass in 7ish days.

Latest posts

Back