Horchata Stout Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
I have some vanilla beans that I need to use up and am playing around with an imperial stout that would have similar flavors of horchata. I want it to be a bit thick and not super roasty as I want the sweetness to play well with the vanilla and cinnamon.

Here is what I am thinking for a 6 gallon batch (according to Beer Tools Pro at my usual 85% efficiency):
66.2%- 12lbs 2 row pale
5.5%- 1 lb midnight wheat
2.8%- .5lb roasted barley
11%- 2lbs Caramel 60L
11%- 2lbs Flaked Barley
3.4%- 10oz lactose

Mash at 155*

.75oz Columbus at 60min
.25oz Columbus at 30min
1oz Horizon at 20min

1028 London Ale yeast

3 vanilla beans and 1 cinnamon stick in secondary

OG 1.088
FG 1.022
8.7%ABV
IBU 63

Any thoughts, suggestions, or mistakes I am making?

good luck getting any sort of response from these people, they only like to talk about hops in IPAs.
i love midnight wheat, i like your recipe.Personally i would replace half that flaked barley with flaked oats but what you have is plenty acceptable.
It would be for no good reason other then novelty but you could take out some of that 2 row and use Rice syrup solids. just to say there is rice in your horchata stout.

66.2%- 12lbs 2 row pale
11%- 2lbs Caramel 60L Cut this in Half / Replace 1/2 w/Maris Otter
11%- 2lbs Flaked Barley
3.4%- 10oz Lactose
Mash at 155*

.75oz Columbus at 60min
.25oz Columbus at 30minAdd this above and make it a FWH addition
1oz Horizon at 20min

1028 London Ale yeast
3 vanilla beans and 1 cinnamon stick in secondaryTry Blending Combos of the both, (Sticks/Ground)Soaking ingredients in vodka(Small amount)Add at Kegging/Bottling
Just my 2 Cents, btw making me wanna work on a horchata recipe as well now!

good luck getting any sort of response from these people, they only like to talk about hops in IPAs.i love midnight wheat, i like your recipe.Personally i would replace half that flaked barley with flaked oats but what you have is plenty acceptable.
It would be for no good reason other then novelty but you could take out some of that 2 row and use Rice syrup solids. just to say there is rice in your horchata stout.
:mug:True, I really love my TeRpS. +1 on the Midnight Wheat / Flaked Oats.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try your suggestions, although not sure about using the rice syrup solids. If it is not going to really contribute anything to the flavor or texture, I am not sure I want to add it in, although it would make it a bit more "authentic":)

correct its basically the same as sugar. It would just be for the authenticity. i just used 2 pounds in a 5 gallon recipe in hopes to get some rice flavors but it gave none.

I will post results in a few months once I get to taste it. I hope it comes out as good as I am imagining.

good luck getting any sort of response from these people, they only like to talk about hops in IPAs.
i love midnight wheat, i like your recipe.Personally i would replace half that flaked barley with flaked oats but what you have is plenty acceptable.
Why the hate, bro?

Anyway, if I were you, I'd use 5 ounces of Mosaic at flameout and dry hop with a pound of Simcoe.

Just kidding.

I have some vanilla beans that I need to use up and am playing around with an imperial stout that would have similar flavors of horchata. I want it to be a bit thick and not super roasty as I want the sweetness to play well with the vanilla and cinnamon.

Here is what I am thinking for a 6 gallon batch (according to Beer Tools Pro at my usual 85% efficiency):
66.2%- 12lbs 2 row pale
11%- 2lbs Caramel 60L
11%- 2lbs Flaked Barley
3.4%- 10oz lactose

Mash at 155*

.75oz Columbus at 60min
.25oz Columbus at 30min
1oz Horizon at 20min

1028 London Ale yeast

3 vanilla beans and 1 cinnamon stick in secondary

OG 1.088
FG 1.022
8.7%ABV
IBU 63

So I don't have a TON of experience with horchata stouts, but in those that I've tried, the almond component is important. Have you considered either adding almond extract or actually putting almonds in the mash?

I didn't realize there was almond in horchata crarawheat or crystalwheat does tend to add a tiny bit of a nut flavor.it has a lovibond of 55ish maybe replace your 60 with it or half? i have not used either but both Victory, and carabrown list nutty as a flavor.
Anyway, if I were you, I'd use 5 ounces of Mosaic at flameout and dry hop with a pound of Simcoe.

Just kidding.
i almost had an aneurysm when i read that before i got to the jk.

I have never detected an almond flavor in horchata, but I can't say I ever knew it was there, so I may have silently ignored it. I may have to do more taste testing at my local taco shop to see if it is a flavor I can pick out.

So I finally brewed this last week and am getting ready to transfer to secondary with the vanilla beans and cinnamon.

Has anyone ever done cinnamon in the secondary? I was thinking of putting the cinnamon stick into the secondary, but am now thinking that maybe I should use 2, and maybe soak them in vodka for a bit beforehand.

Any input or suggestions from anyone that has used this method as opposed to adding to the boil?

What quality are the 3 vanilla beans?If they are cheap dried up vanilla beans from the super market one cinnamon stick might do the trick.
If it was me i would do the 3 beans one stick taste in a week, if not enough cinnamon add another stick or 2 depending on when it will be bottle/kegged.

So I ended up doing 5 beans as that is my usual amount for my higher alcohol beers and I had a few extra from my last brew session. The beans a good quality Tahitian beans that were still moist, fragrant, and soft. I also missed my numbers and came in at 1.100 OG, so it will be about 10%.

Last night I put 3 organic cinnamon sticks (about 3" long each) into just enough vodka to partially cover them (about 2 or 3 tablespoons). I have tossed them around a few times and just tasted the vodka. It has a good cinnamon flavor but not overpowering. I ended up putting 3 in because they did not have a ton of heavy cinnamon character like I expected a cinnamon stick to have.

I am thinking I am going to put all 3 sticks in and the vodka and then add if needed. I will taste it again tomorrow night before transferring just to make sure it is not too much.
Does that sound excessive to you? It will sit in the secondary for about 2 weeks and then get bottled.

I love cinnamon and vanilla but cost wise i know 5 grade a plump beans can cost a decent bit.With that said nothing seems excessive especially if it taste good. thats whats most important.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out!

I had the HI-Wire 10W-40 which was amazing and I've been looking to recreate that beer.

Back