Coconut Imperial Stout critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
I have a recipe I've put together based on my best assumption of a local offering. They list on the can what grains they used, though of course not in what qtys nor if that is all they used. Based on an American Stout I made recently that has a similar grain bill, I have put this together. Looking to see if this should produce something of a an imperial sweet stout with an ABV approaching 11% (the original is 11.3%, I don't necessarily need it quite that high). This is a 5.5G batch.

22# (80%) - 2-Row
1.5# (5%) - Chocolate Malt
1.5# (5%) - Crystal 80
1.5# (5%) - Flaked Oats
0.5# (2%) - Black Patent
0.5# (2%) - Roasted Barley
I am on the fence about the Lactose and DME...needed or not?
1# - Lactose
1# - DME, Traditional Dark, Briess
- - - - -
27.5# total grains

Mash @ 152 for 75 minutes.
Using a mash efficiency of 65%.

And for hops:
2 oz. Magnum (or Warrior) @ First Wort
3 oz. Cascade for last 20 min.

Yeast: Safale US-05 (2 pkgs)

Without the lactose or DME I get an OG of 1.106 and FG of 1.026
ABV of 10.5% (std) or 11.8% (alt)
IBUs of 84
SRM of 55

For the Coconut, planning on 0.2-0.4 lbs/gallon of shredded unsweetened toasted coconut added in final days of fermentation. Probably will also add some vanilla beans.

Last edited:
I've made plenty of stouts but never an imperial. I'm with you on the Roasted Barley and Black patent. Are imperial stouts that high in IBU ?

It takes IBUs to balance the residual sweetness (and body, I suppose). I do a 1.107 chocolate stout with 88 paper IBUs, which sounds like a lot but given the 1.026-28 FG they nearly disappear...

Cheers!

So no particular feedback on the recipe? I've decide to name this one, "Misfit Island Coconut Stout"

So no particular feedback on the recipe?

Yeah. I feel the same way you do on adding Roasted Barley and Black Patent. I wouldn't use both if it were me, unless its there for a certain reason. Ive never used Black Patent so I really can't say .

I like Maris Otter and fuggle hops in a stout as well. Have you thought about cocoa nibs ?

The reason I wanted to use both, right or wrong, is because the brewery specifically lists both on the can. Also, what do you think about adding Lactose and DME, are they necessary? The main reason for the lactose is a bit of sweetness but mostly mouthfeel. The DME is primarily intended to boost the ABV, but I am not so intent on trying to match the original beer at 11.3%. I think anywhere in the 10's is fine. I am game for adding some cocoa nibs, sure. What do you think is a proper amount?

Given the predicted FG of 1.026 and the 1-1/2 pounds of crystal I would not add either DME or lactose as there will be plenty of body extant.
As for the recipe, it looks good to me, but at my age I'm looking to amp up character (lots of roasty malt :)) that others might not enjoy as much...

Cheers!

I have a recipe I've put together based on my best assumption of a local offering. They list on the can what grains they used, though of course not in what qtys nor if that is all they used. Based on an American Stout I made recently that has a similar grain bill, I have put this together. Looking to see if this should produce something of a an imperial sweet stout with an ABV approaching 11% (the original is 11.3%, I don't necessarily need it quite that high). This is a 5.5G batch.

22# (80%) - 2-Row
1.5# (5%) - Chocolate Malt
1.5# (5%) - Crystal 80
1.5# (5%) - Flaked Oats
0.5# (2%) - Black Patent
0.5# (2%) - Roasted Barley
I am on the fence about the Lactose and DME...needed or not?
1# - Lactose
1# - DME, Traditional Dark, Briess
- - - - -
27.5# total grains

Mash @ 152 for 75 minutes.
Using a mash efficiency of 65%.

And for hops:
2 oz. Magnum (or Warrior) @ First Wort
3 oz. Cascade for last 20 min.

Yeast: Safale US-05 (2 pkgs)

Without the lactose or DME I get an OG of 1.106 and FG of 1.026
ABV of 10.5% (std) or 11.8% (alt)
IBUs of 84
SRM of 55

For the Coconut, planning on 0.2-0.4 lbs/gallon of shredded unsweetened toasted coconut added in final days of fermentation. Probably will also add some vanilla beans.
I suggest you buy 2-3 coconut get the meat from inside and put it in the preheated oven for 15min and than shredded with coffee grinder it will have natural sugars and oils

Latest posts

Back