hopstopper clogging- fixed I think (BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kshuler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I think I have found a way to stop clogging in my hopstopper. I have been struggling for a while with my hopstopper. Originally, I had a homemade hoptstopper, and this kept clogging, so I bought a REAL hopstopper, thinking that it might be better. In fact, it is quite a bit nicer than my homebrew version. Unfortunately, it too, suffers from clogging with my setup.

A little about my setup and why I think I have problems and others do not seem to. I do brew in a bag (BIAB) and grind quite fine. I recirculate boiling wort for about 5 minutes to sanitize the system. I do this in the beginning of the boil so I don’t have to contend with lots of hot break material clogging the hopstopper (after adding whirlfloc). At the end of the boil, I start recirculating again, throttled almost completely down for 5 minutes just to sanitize it again. Generally, I have had no problems at all recirculating- it does it rapidly and with no slowdown even if I do it for 15 minutes (at the beginning). The problems come in after about 2 gallons of wort have been pumped out through the chiller and into the fermentor. On many occasions the hopstopper then gets so irretrievably clogged, that I have to bust out my autosiphon and get the wort out that way.

I have tried not using whirlfloc, putting whirlfloc into a hop bag and recirculating into that, using only leaf hops, recirculating through a hopback to strip out some break material. Scraping off the hopstopper with a sterilized brush as I drained the kettle, and a few other things. I theorized that the ultrafine grind that I do with BIAB (0.025”) lets more flour through, which then clogs the hopstopper. But truthfully, I don't really know why this has been so difficult.

Yesterday and today I brewed, only using pellets, using my standard technique and didn’t have any problems at all. Perfect recirculating and draining the kettle rapidly without any problems. The only difference- skimming every last bit of foam off the top of the kettle when coming to a boil. I never imagined that this would make such a difference. I was trying it for completely different reasons—I had read a thread somewhere that said it made for a smoother beer.

So for anyone that does BIAB and seems to get a clogged hopstopper- try skimming the foam. It’s not something you want in your beer, anyway. You should see the stuff- grey proteinaceous crud. Here is a picture of what came off my latest 6 gallon batch, after letting it sit and separate for 4 hours:

0jcotd

and here with a flash so it shows up better (although it is a dark gray, not white like in the picture)

f2nasb

Why would anyone want this nasty stuff in their beer anway?

Proteins are really sticky and gummy, and definitely can plug things up. The fine grind isn't a problem, as the flour is converted into sugars, so if you mashed to completion the flour should be gone.

I had the same problem with clogging when recirculating (chilling). My solution is to drain the hot wort off into a modified corny at flame out. This way the filter doesn't have a chance to gum up. The wort only makes one pass over the filter. I can then recirculate (chill) using the corny with no filter to clog up.

Latest posts

Back