hopsdirect.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is someone splitting them up and respackaging or are they just stopping by your house and picking out what they need? Basically is someone putting in some serious sweat equity?

Is someone splitting them up and respackaging or are they just stopping by your house and picking out what they need? Basically is someone putting in some serious sweat equity?

I am running it, I created the software (spreadsheet) to track orders, pricing, shipping and a materials surcharge.

I AM splitting and vaccuum sealing them for the buyers, for free.

Thanks for this thread, I went ahead and bought 6 lbs of pellets for 126$ (shipped, shipping was 12$ to NE).

Packages weighed 1.8 to 3.2 oz's over a lb. The bags they're packaged in probably weigh 1 oz though.

Crystal (3.2), Cascade (2.55), Vanguard (2.25), Fuggle (US) (2.6), Chinook (2.5), Magnum (1.8).

The Magnum packaging wasn't fully vacuumed so I'll probably re-package those first.

Thanks for this thread, I went ahead and bought 6 lbs of pellets for 126$ (shipped, shipping was 12$ to NE).

Packages weighed 1.8 to 3.2 oz's over a lb. The bags they're packaged in probably weigh 1 oz though.

Crystal (3.2), Cascade (2.55), Vanguard (2.25), Fuggle (US) (2.6), Chinook (2.5), Magnum (1.8).

The Magnum packaging wasn't fully vacuumed so I'll probably re-package those first.

They fill the bags with Nitrogen - Vaccum seal isn't necessary from hops direct. Once you open it then yes, vaccum seal it.

Nice to know, felt somewhat odd having 5 bags packaged perfect and tight and then one that was half inflated.

Great thread, I'll be using them real soon.

See, that little extra ounces to a few people in the beginning went a long way for reputation and future sales... :)

just finished wieghing out mine. my "pound" of amarillo leaf was just over 20ozs! I bought a pound of czech saaz leaf that ended up being 17-18 ozs and a pound of styrian goldings pellets at about 17ozs. seems they are more accurate with pellets. Good thing i prefer leaf!

Woo hooo!!!!

6lbs of hops on its way! I am literally saving 73% on my hops per ounce including shipping. Wow.... I think I may actually need to get into this bulk buying thing. Maybe a mill needs to jump up on my priority list???

My order should be here on Thursday. Question for you guys... the hop bags are filled with nitrogen you say? So they can go straight into the freezer until I need them?

Got my saaz and amarillo today.

7 extra ounces of amarillo, 6 extra ounces of saaz. puterbaugh makes my day, again!

Columbus, Amarillo and Nugget arrived today, all 6 ounces over weight. Puterbaugh FTW each and every time. :rockin:

The prices are very reasonable. I bought 3 pounds myself recently for brewing my big IPA's. From weiging it, the one bag was only .5 oz heavier, the Amarillo and Columbus were 1.5 oz heavier.

On our group buy, all pellets, the packages were no more than 2 oz. over.

I got my hops last week, haven't weighed them yet as I need to buy a scale. I went pellets so I'll update when I get a scale.

If I was to buy a couple lbs of hops and didn't have a vacume sealer/bags..could I just use a plastic container and set it in the freezer?

I don't think I'd blow through that much hops (5lbs) for a while.

If I was to buy a couple lbs of hops and didn't have a vacume sealer/bags..could I just use a plastic container and set it in the freezer?

I don't think I'd blow through that much hops (5lbs) for a while.

You could, but how long do you think it will be in there? Some ppl use the cheap Reynolds sealers and have success.

You could, but how long do you think it will be in there? Some ppl use the cheap Reynolds sealers and have success.

I've been a brewing fool for the last few weeks with 5 batches either in progress or done,however after this run of brews I'm going to only do one a month.

So maybe use 2-3 ounces a month depending on what it is I make. The majority of what I make are kits that come with hops but soon that will change.

I guess I'll have to see fora few months how much I use and then judge it from there.

FWIW, my vaccuum sealer has paid for itself about 4x over in the past 6 months on HOPS alone. Not to mention regular food purchases. I saved about $288 on hops this year buying them bulk. My FoodSaver cost me $70 new.

My seal-a-meal got some good use last week. the kids and I sealed up the left overs of a one pound purchase. It's so nice to have a supply of hops all packaged in 1 ounce bags for the price of bulk! Plus, I use it for dehydrated foods, leftover grain, malt extract, etc. neat and useful toy!

I have been using glass mason jars with my lid sealer on my FoodSaver. It is nice because I no longer have to go through bags, I just pop open the labeled jar, measure out my hops, then reseal the jar and stack in the freezer. I have about 9 pounds of 15 varieties in the brew fridge.

P1020538.JPG

How does the lid sealer work? I was under the impression that you had to use special food saver jars.

Nope, just use a mason jar, a wide mouth jar. Place the lid on it, place the adapter over it and start the vaccuum. It vaccuum seals the jar lid on. I do have a couple FoodSaver canisters, but the wide mouth mason jar adapter is the best!

I just received my tracking number from them! They'll be here (VT) next Friday! This is my second time using them and I'm stoked on getting in my next order. I guess a vacuum sealer needs to go onto my list.

I have been using glass mason jars with my lid sealer on my FoodSaver. It is nice because I no longer have to go through bags, I just pop open the labeled jar, measure out my hops, then reseal the jar and stack in the freezer. I have about 9 pounds of 15 varieties in the brew fridge.

P1020538.JPG

This is quite awesome and deserved to be re-seen... even if it was only a few posts down...

I just ordered an assortment of 4 lbs from them.

I don't have any canning jars or vacume sealer bags much less a scale. I don't think my scale for reloading bullets will work for measuring hops so I'll need a scale too.

This hobby just gets more expensive each day... and I would have thought it was from drinking tons of beer (which I dont).... it's from all the equipment.

P1020538.JPG

I'm guessing that these are wide-mouth mason jars, because the regular ones I bought will not fit the food saver jar attachment. However, I just put the mason jar into a large food saver canister and turned on the vacuum. When you release the vacuum on the canister, the jar inside remains sealed. Worked fine and I didn't have to go back and buy more jars.

It's worth pointing out that a dozen mason jars cost about as much as a single foodsaver canister.

I just sealed mine with the Reynolds zacuum sealed zip locks.

Step 1: Put remaining hops into regular ziploc bag.
Step 2: Squeeze out as much air as possible from ziploc
Step 3: Seal all but 1/2" of the ziploc
Step 4: Place regular ziploc filled with hops into vacuum ziplock bag
Step 5: Seal vacuum ziploc
Step 6: Pump out all the air from the vaccum ziplock, making sure the air from the regular ziploc is sucked out too
Step 7: Place ziploc set into foil package from hops direct
Step 8: Squeeze out as much air as possible from foil bag
Step 9: Iron the foil bag closed

You should now have a totally sealed bag with an oxy barrier (foil) and an air free inner bag. I think this is a good way to do it and you do not need a food saver. I think the Reynolds pump was ~$5...

I'm guessing that these are wide-mouth mason jars, because the regular ones I bought will not fit the food saver jar attachment. However, I just put the mason jar into a large food saver canister and turned on the vacuum. When you release the vacuum on the canister, the jar inside remains sealed. Worked fine and I didn't have to go back and buy more jars.

It's worth pointing out that a dozen mason jars cost about as much as a single foodsaver canister.

Yes these are wide mouth jars, the FoodSaver attachment is called a Wide Mouth Jar Sealer. I bought some extra lids (cheap) but have not had to use them yet... the original ones dont get bent when I pop them open.

I just ordered an assortment of 4 lbs from them.

I don't have any canning jars or vacume sealer bags much less a scale. I don't think my scale for reloading bullets will work for measuring hops so I'll need a scale too.

This hobby just gets more expensive each day... and I would have thought it was from drinking tons of beer (which I dont).... it's from all the equipment.

Reynolds (yes, the reynolds wrap people) has a < $10 vacuum sealer that is sold at many large grocery stores. Quart bags (which hold 1/2 # of pellets) come in a box of 14 for $3.50. This system works great for me. You will be very impressed with the quality of the vacuum, although I had a bag that did lose its vacuum. The vacuum thingy is battery operated, but comes with batteries.

Reynolds Vacuum Sealer

Ziploc also sells a manual pump for their vacuum bags. It is only $2. I haven't used this.

All the above is sold in the aisle with the baggies and such.

Reynolds (yes, the reynolds wrap people) has a < $10 vacuum sealer that is sold at many large grocery stores. Quart bags (which hold 1/2 # of pellets) come in a box of 14 for $3.50. This system works great for me. You will be very impressed with the quality of the vacuum, although I had a bag that did lose its vacuum. The vacuum thingy is battery operated, but comes with batteries.

Reynolds Vacuum Sealer

Ziploc also sells a manual pump for their vacuum bags. It is only $2. I haven't used this.

All the above is sold in the aisle with the baggies and such.

I get a massive failure rate on resealing those bags. I now treat them as seal once and forget about it. Sometimes you can reseal and put tape over the hole but it is a hassle to use. One of these days I will upgrade to a real system.

I get a massive failure rate on resealing those bags. I now treat them as seal once and forget about it. Sometimes you can reseal and put tape over the hole but it is a hassle to use. One of these days I will upgrade to a real system.

That sentiment has been echoed a lot on HBT.

For those looking into Foodsavers...if you have a KOHL'S nearby, keep an eye out on their sales. I got mine at 70% off (was $120, I paid just under $40). I've seen them on sale a few times since then.

I just got my tracking information for my 4lb order.

The UPS tracking says the shipment weights 6lbs.

Last time I checked, a carbboard box didn't weight 2lbs, not for the size necessary to send 4lbs. Do you think they tossed in anything extra?

I won't be heart broken if they don't but it gets me to wondering... and it wont be here till friday :( excited... my first hop order.

got mine in last week and received 1lb of cascade and 1 lb of Willamette in all was about 3.2 ounces over

Back