Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
I have a question about hops. Are you supposed to leave the hops (Aroma, and flavor) in the wort as it cools?

I guess the reason I ask, is that I added my aroma hops in the last two minutes of the boil, and then I removed them when the boil was done. My buddy said that I should put them in the primary. When do I remove Aroma, and flavor hops?

Thanks again!:drunk:

My hops fall apart- so I've never even tried to remove them. I do strain the cooled wort when I put it into primary though, and most of the junk is strained out. The stuff I miss falls out in the primary and I just rack off of it. Some people use hops bags, so I imagine they just lift the bag out after they're done.

You did it right, put aroma hops in boil for last two minutes then remove bag (assuming you use a bag). Cool Wort. I always use a bag, but if I didn't I would leave hops in until it cooled then I would strain it. Not going to make a huge difference either way.

I leave the hops in until I strain to the fermenter. Sometimes, aroma hops are added at flame-out and only steep during the cool-down.

Bagging them & removing before cooling will change the aroma profile, which might be exactly what the recipe calls for.

I'm certain there are recipes that call for hops in the primary, but that's rare. Most of the time, you want the wort to be as clear & clean as possible.

when i put my hop (pellets this is) in my wort they just mix right in and i leave them in for the primary but im not somone that likes over powering hops so if i use a bag and take them out will i get the favor but not have it be to much for me? or will it not really make a diff.?

thanks fleas:drunk: :drunk:

I think you want to leave your hops, particularly your aroma hops in while you cool the wort. The hot wort will be extracting flavor and aroma and also evaporating those same oils. If you take them out before cooling you will not have as much aroma as you could have. I don't use a bag, I just throw them in and after cooling I whirlpool the pot then siphon from the edge.
Craig

Most of my hop sludge ends up in the fermenter. It hasn't caused any problems that I can tell.

I think dipping hops into the hot wort for only 2 minutes and removing is getting very little aroma into it. At least leave it in during the cooling (what, another 15 minutes).

Back