Hops & yeast for Stiegl type pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering brewing a Steigl type pilsner. I have searched for an AG clone recipe for Seigl, but the info Iv'e found is either incomplete or seems somewhat inaccurate. Can someone point me in the right direction, please? I'm assuming ingredients are mostly euro pils, Styrian hops, and a long boil. For yeast, either WLP802 or Wyeast 2278.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Start a conversation with the brewery.

https://www.stiegl.at/en/contact

I was there last year and they couldn't have been more friendly.

I'm positive they have a process that will be hard for us replicate, yet as you've noted the ingredients appeared to be common.

The reason I am a new homebrewer is because I tasted the freshest tastiest beer in my life there. They ruined me . . . . . . bless their heart. :ban:

'da Kid

10mmKid, thanks for the suggestion to contact the Stiegl Brewery. I did, and received a timely reply. For Stiegl Pils, they use Sapphire hops. My HLBS has German Saphir. I'm assuming that's the same hops. When I'm ready to fit another lager into my brew schedule, I'll give it a try.

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone have any further details about what this clone recipe would look like?

Grain bill?
Mash temp?
Hop schedule?
Yeast info - strain, starter size, term temp?

Thanks!

Sorry I didn't update this post after I brewed my clone rendition. As I recall, it was a good lager. Unfortunately, I lost all my old beersmith recipes when my old computer bit the dust. I will have to try and reconstruct (from my imperfect memory) the recipe that I brewed, along with any recommended changes to that recipe. It may take me a couple of days, though.

Just to update, I am working on this recipe. For starters, I believe it is a SMASH beer: German Pils malt and German Smaragd hops (Emerald). When I brewed it, I used Saphir hops, which is very similar, but now I have a good supply of Smaragd (aka Emerald), which Stiegl states that they use in their Pils. Hopefully, I'll have a workable AG recipe to post sometime tomorrow. :)

Here is my basic All Grain recipe for 5 gallons (5.6 gal into fermentor), using single decoction mash.

SG: 1.047
FG: 1.010
IBU: 30
ABV: 4.9

BH efficiency: 80%

DI or distilled water treated with 1 tsp Calcium Chloride anhydrous, and 1/4 tsp gypsum.

8.5 lbs Weyermann Pils malt
.125 lb Weyermann Acidulated malt

(If not decocting, add .25 lb Melanoidin malt and reduce Pils to 8.25 lb)

1.0 oz. 5.0% Smaragd FWH 990 min.
0.5 oz. 5.0% Smaragd Boil 15 min.
1.0 oz. 5.0% Smaragd WP 15 min.

.5 tsp Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc
.75 tsp Fermaid K or other Yeast Nutrient

Mash
Add 13 qt. 161F water for rest at 151F for 50 min.
Decoct 3 qt. thick mash and boil; add to mash for 162F Rest for 20 min.
168F for 10 min Mash Out

Fermentation
Yeast choices: WY2278, WY2124, or WLP830 (My choice for slightly higher atten. and lower temp range) You will need about 370 Billion cells, so thats about 3 packs or 3 liter starter.

Aerate well. Pitch yeast at 42F, then let temp slowly rise about 1 degree F per day, to 48F. Almost no diacetyl forms at these low temps. Hold at 48F until primary fermentation is complete, then keg or bottle. After bottle or keg conditioning, cold condition at 35F (or lower) for 4-6 weeks before drinking. Can't do 42F? Pitch as low as you can, and try to ferment at or below 50F.

I hope you'll like it.

Wow! That fermentation schedule sounds complicated to me. How about: pitch a few degrees below your ferment temp. Keep it at or below 50F for 30 days, then cold condition for 30 days or more. If you keg, I highly recommend that you keg condition, so the yeast can scrub oxygen from the keg.

Thanks for the insight.

Have you made this? How similar is it to Stiegl?

I did make it once, not long after I started this post. It was close, but could have been closer. It was good though. As I mentioned in a previous post, I used Saphir hops, instead of Smaragd. Stiegl doesn't say what the IBUs are, but it should be in line with German pils. I don't know their yeast strain, so that's something to play around with. Their website lists 11.4 Plato (SG: 1.046), and Abv: 4.9%, which should get you to FG of about 1.009, if my calculations are correct. When I can lager again, I'll have to give it another try.

Back