Hops won't stop floating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PollardsVision

Reaction score
I've got an ounce of cascade pellets in a hop bag attached to an 18/10 spoon.
I can't see it, but I'm 99% sure the spoon is still attached.
I've also tried pushing it down twice with the end of my wort stirrer (sanitized).

Still, it's been 2 days and the bag's floating.

Is it normal to take so long to sink, even attached to a spoon?

Oh, I didn't realize it could take that much to make it sink.

Follow-up question: Just how big of a deal is floating hops?

I just let them float with the first batch. I didn't know you weren't supposed to. The beer was good. My LHBS guy seemed pretty adamant that letting them float was not a good thing.

Obviously, I don't have the experience to have much an opinion on the issue.

What's the downside of letting hops float?
And would it be worth risking my beer to further exposure to fish the hops and "re-anchor" them to ensure they sink (if, for some reason, the spoon didn't get it done)?

I have no issues with having the hops float. As long as they are soaked by the wort then you are good.

I just throw the hops in and let them go for a swim. It usually takes at least 2 days for the pellets to break apart and absorb the beer. They will usually float for awhile. When I want to rack I crash cool it and they all sink right to the bottom.

I bag my dry hops & let them float after pushing them down to soak them. It's the same as making sun tea. The floating tea bags will release the tea in a downward motion. Same thing hear,& works just fine in 7-10 days time.

Back