Hops suggestion for American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigvu

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an American Wheat this weekend and need a recommendation for hops additions. In the freezer I have leftover amounts of Nugget, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade. Probably enough to brew with just one of them, but wanted to get some people's take on what a good combo would be for a nice wheat. Shooting for around 20 IBU. Recipe is:

5 lb 2 Row
4 lb Wheat Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Honey Malt

Fermenting with Kolsch yeast (yes I'm serious...suggestion thanks to markg388).

Stick with noble hops: Tettnanger, Hallertauer, Spalter, or Saaz. Wheat beers generally don't call for much bitterness and you want the grainy character of the wheat to come through with little bitterness and just a little noticeable, yet subtle hop flavor and aroma in the American version.

I'm a big fan of Saaz and hallertauer in my wheat, and my current wheat I have on tap is 1 oz Hallertauer @ 45, 0.5 oz saaz at 15, and 0.5 oz at flameout.

1.052 OG with 17 IBU. It's simply delightful :mug:

And your recipe is similar to mine, although the wheat/2-row ratio is slightly different. I did 6.5# wheat, 4.5# 2-row, 0.25 honey malt with wyeast 1010.

if you're going to use 1 of those, i'd go for the cascade. hefe allows for some fruity character, and the rest are really too rough for wheats. 1 oz of cascade at 60 minutes would run 17-20, based on the alpha. of course, noble hops are the best, but considering you want to use those, stick with cascade. i have, and it's not bad

Cascade with am wheat. All the way. The slight citrus of the cascade and the sweet smooth wheat make a luscious beer. I just made one like this.

BTW, I used S-05 dry yeast. Jamil Z. is high on using Kolsch yeast with his am wheat, so you are in good company there.

I brewed a crack'd wheat clone once (my own attempt) and utilized cascade and amarillo in a wheat beer with bavarian weizen yeast, and though I didn't quite end up with a good new glarus clone, I did end up with a really flavorful wheat brew....I thought the fruitiness of the yeast blended really nicely with the american hops.....my wife also loved it. the keg got tapped in a week.

I've use Liberty with good results and heard Willamette work well too.

I would go with all amarillo. I have done it in an American wheat before, and it is used in beers such as Mikkeller Drink in the Sun and Three Floyds Gumballhead. Both overly delicious!

Check out Goose Island 312 Wheat Beer. It is a great summer wheat brew; uses Liberty and Cascade, and the cascade really comes through great. I believe it is about 4.2%abv, and 20IBU. Their website has more details.

it's all good, since it shouldn't have much hops anyway.
Jumpup.gif
... i said, NOT MUCH HOPS!!! :D

I've brewed a couple batches (more of the same to come) of American Wheat w/Amarillo added throughout the boil and a five minute steep at flameout. Not a Gumballhead clone but going for the same idea. It seems to be a fan favorite. Fermenting with 05 at 60F. My Hefes only get a small bit of nobles at beginning of boil.

I just brewed 10 gallons of all amarillo am-wheat (wheat/pale malt -50/50) and am fermenting half with german weizen yeast and half w/ kolsch yeast, the latter being transferred over a bunch of rasberries in a few days....amarillo is the perfect hop for american wheats (unless you're going for over the top hoppy) because it seems to be the most mellow of the American hops + has this really nice ripe tangerine/mango aroma.

I would go with all amarillo. I have done it in an American wheat before, and it is used in beers such as Mikkeller Drink in the Sun and Three Floyds Gumballhead. Both overly delicious!

I was about to say the gumballhead is amazing and it's mostly amarillo if not all. Very nice.

I ended up going with .5 oz Saaz at 60 min and .5 oz Saaz at 15 min, then decided randomly to throw in .25 oz Cascade at flameout, just for a little variety. I sparged more volume (almost 7 gallons) than I planned on, so my resulting IBUs would've been low with just the 1 oz of Saaz, I think. Fermenting like a champ...will update in 2ish weeks when the wlp029 is done.

Back