Hops removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzen

Reaction score
I am brewing morebeer's pliny the elder. It came with whole cascade hops. The recipe called to add these hops during the mash. I decided to add them to the boil instead. Now the brew has been fermenting for seven days. Should i try to skim these hops off the top of the brew before I dry hop? They seem to have formed a layer at the top.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Home Brew mobile app

Ideally, you would not have transferred them to your fermenter at all. Hops that you use in your boil you either want to let settle to the bottom of your kettle and leave behind, or pour through a sanitized strainer to filter them out.

Not sure what the best answer is at this point now that they are in there. It is not a catastrophic problem that they are there. If you go fishing around in your beer you run the risk of infecting it, so I suppose I would just let it ride at this point..... unless you plan on doing a secondary fermentation. If so, leave them behind in the primary fermenter when you transfer.

once your batch has fermented for 2 - 3 weeks depending fermentation temp just rack out from under them. After 2 weeks id start taking gravity tests and if after 3 test it has remained the same proceed with the racking and dry hopping

once your batch has fermented for 2 - 3 weeks depending fermentation temp just rack out from under them. After 2 weeks id start taking gravity tests and if after 3 test it has remained the same proceed with the racking and dry hopping

One pri lem this is m y first ten gallon batch and only have the one speidel 15 gallon fermentor

One pri lem this is m y first ten gallon batch and only have the one speidel 15 gallon fermentor

Then you're totally f*%&ed!!!

Just kidding. Sorry, it's late. Just leave them in there and stir in the dry hops with a sanitized spoon. I don't think it'll be a problem.

No matter what I will still have beer right? Right.

Back