Hops pushed out of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwirevo

Reaction score
I'm all grain brewing, and when I throw the hops in at the start of the boil they cause more, I guess you'd call it head, foam to form and then a lot of hop sludge appears and gets stuck to the pot then the foaming recedes and leaves all that hoppy goodness there, do I have to scrap it back in to ensure I get my ibus? I don't use hop bags, just chuck the pellets straight in.

scrap it back to the boil. Stir and fill a spray bottle with water for the foam/hotbreak. I use my brewspoon to get it back in the boil if it happens.

Scrape it back in for sure. I didn't use hop bags at first, but it sure makes cleanup after the boil a lot easier. I think I paid like 3 bucks at Lowes for a 2 pack of nylon bags.

Nylon bags cut cleanup times amazingly for me. But to your question, I always try to scrape it back in when the hot break happens, if using the bags try to stir it up to make sure sure its getting recirculated.

Do you find hop bags cut the ibus?
I used hop bags when I was extract brewing because of the clean up, but I figured that with all grain other stuff drops out when it's cooling so why bother containing the hops.

You can use first wort hopping to reduce the boil flare up when adding hops. Put your hops in the boil kettle as you add your wort, then bring everything to a boil at the same time.

I do a few FWH brews but if I need to boil off a lot then I can't do that without driving the ibu right up

Latest posts

Back