Hops propagation: when can I move the cuttings outdoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if some of you guys have experience with hop cuttings and can help me with this matter.

After using cuttings to propagate indoors, how old should be the cuttings in order to be successfully planted outdoors in March?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Depends on your location: I would not set newborn hop plants out in my area before May, regardless of how sturdy they appear.

Otherwise, if you're in a warmer zone, once the plants have developed a decent root ball and the ground can be worked without turning it into a muddy paste, there's no reason to keep them indoors...

Cheers!

I live in a subtropical region which shares climate similarities with North Carolina and Kentucky.
Before starting to propagate I need to understand how long it will take for a cutting to develop that "decent root ball" you have mentioned. In other words how long it will take for a cutting to get mature enought to be moved outside during springs (APRIL: min T average 46F to max T average 66F MAY: min T average 53F to max T average 72F).
Moreover, another thing I wish to understand is if I can move plants outdoor during flowering/summer...

Probably a good rule of thumb to ask a garden center when it's best to transplant tomatoes in your area, and go with that date. I'd probably wait 'till first of June myself, in my area, though most do so a week earlier.

Latest posts

Back