Hops on pergola, on a boat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainlife

Reaction score
Does anyone know how hops fair with wind burn? I have a pontoon with no canopy. I want to build a pergola on it and zip tie some pots to the base with vines growing up it to provide some shade and give it a fun look, naturally I thought of hops first to give it a dual purpose. My boat only goes 20 mph or so, and I'll only be out a max of 8 hrs a week. Is this a feasible plan, or will wind burn kill the hops? How large of a pot would one need to grow hops for a few years before re-potting? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Watch out for aphids "raining" down on you!

I couldn't sit underneath my hops due to the aphids falling off.

I dunno, but when we are at the lake in late June, the wind was a blowin' 35-40 and the hops (in the ground) did fine.

Just make sure that they are positioned in such a way that people arent coming in contact with them as the boat shifts around.

Hops vines will give annoying rashes if you rub bare skin like your arm up against them.

Anyone who has picked hops without gloves and a long sleeve shirt never makes that mistake again.

Back