Hops on a plane... NSA...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I'm off to the UK in a few weeks and planning on bringing 3 lbs of hops. Anyone had issues with this? I'll be putting the hops in my checked bags....

Thanks for any info!
Steve

Thanks! I'm more worried about pot sniffing TSA dogs than UK restrictions however - anyone had personal experience in the last few years?

Perhaps there would be less worry if you arrive earlier and state you have hops in your checked luggage. That could resolve any minor issues.

Pellitized hops could be considered processed food. The linked booklet has this contact for any questions. Adjust for your time zone:
"For more information and advice, please contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) on 08459 335 577. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm."

The UK import restrictions in the second link state you cannot bring in loose soil from any location. There goes any plan to sleep in native soil during the daytime hours.

Here's a link from someone who did it in 2009. I know that what he referenced is EU import rules, but earlier in the thread they were talking about TSA rules. Naturally, nobody was of real help, but he got through just fine by putting it in his checked bags.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/travelling-hops-air-plane-anyone-113506/#post1274876

Just an update, they arrived safe and sound in my checked luggage. As well during my trip I inquired with the Enforcement Support Division of the Food Standards Agency/Imported Food Branch about hops. Here is what they told me:

You are allowed to bring a reasonable amount of these products to the UK.
For more information about personal imports you can access the Personal Imports page at our website Food Standards Agency - Personal imports

Please note that the information on our website is not product specific - all references will be to "food that has no animal content" and will not specifically mention dried hops flowers.

The advice contained in this Email should not be taken as an authoritative statement of the law or its interpretation. Only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.

Yours sincerely

Ian Grist
Imported Food Branch
Enforcement Support Division
Food Standards Agency
Tel. 020-7276 8018 Fax. 020-7276 8463
Email [email protected]
Now, based upon the personal import of food that has no animal content, the following applies:
Quote:
You can bring back reasonable quantities of food that does not contain anything of animal origin. For large amounts, if it is considered to be for commercial purposes then it may be subject to checks by the port health authorities at the point of import.

Personal imports of fruit and raw vegetables from outside the EU may be subject to a limit of 2kg due to plant health restrictions
So a good rule of thumb would be that bringing in up to 2kg of hops from the US into England shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have personal experience with hops, but there isn't really an issue bringing stuff across borders that is legal. This includes things like tobacco, beer, wine, hard alcohol, tea, coffee, etc. The worst case scenario that I've faced was that I was forced to pay customs once (note once) even though I said that the stuff I had was for personal use. I was carrying bags of chocolate for use with a chocolate fountain for a party. They said it looked new and required me to pay a customs fee...it was BS but I had to pay even after trying to fight it. Oddly I carried bottles of rum back to the US and didn't have to pay customs...

If the item is clearly labeled then you are less likely to get hassled, because they won't have to ask you what it is. I was carrying a power transformer and got called into a security room where they asked me what it was.

Just to update: no problems, checked bag, hops were in a plastic bag marked HOPS FOR BREWING BEER! The bag arrived unmolested and intact!

Cheers,
Steve da sleeve

I've carried bottled homebrew in checked luggage on a number of occasions. I don't say anything to them, and so far the beer has arrived intact. Hops may be a different story, depending on where you're going. I think the only thing California still enforces the death penalty on is importing garlic.

Just stick a couple of whole hop cones in your pocket and see what happens. I'm sure it will make for a great story

I got questioned one time if I had "crisps" with me when I came back into the states, answer: just a bag or two. he never asked if it was duffle bag.

Back