Hops in the Deep South?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for a little advice from you experience hop heads out there. We're located in South Louisiana where the weather is hot and humid 8 months out of the year. Anyone have any input on some strains that grow well in a 85-95 average temp and high humidity? Any help is appreciated!

Watermelons?

You have a few strikes against you from the get-go being that you're way far south of the optimum, plus the humidity. Cascade seems to do well just about anywhere in the universe and you could try Canadian Redvine. The only problem with the Redvines is that they seem to attract downy mildew which really likes high humidities. I'd get a few different varieties and see what happens. You can always fall back on the watermelons if things don't work out. Hoppy Trails~

I am trying to grow hops for the first time this year in Oklahoma.

I have done only a few days of research but from what I have found these seem to be the best varieties to grow in hot and humid regions: Cascade, Nugget, Williamette, Mt. Hood, and Chinook.

The reason being is that they are resistant to Downy Mildew. I guess that is one of the biggest problems growing in a hot humid environment.

I am going to grow four of those plus a vairety that is native to NM. Well, A friend finds it in certain places me and him fly fish so we assume it is as native as it gets anyway.

Just throwing that out there...

I have done only a few days of research but from what I have found these seem to be the best varieties to grow in hot and humid regions: Cascade, Nugget, Williamette, Mt. Hood, and Chinook.

The reason being is that they are resistant to Downy Mildew. I guess that is one of the biggest problems growing in a hot humid environment.

I am going to grow four of those plus a vairety that is native to NM. Well, A friend finds it in certain places me and him fly fish so we assume it is as native as it gets anyway.

Next time you or him find yourselves near there, mind digging up a rhizome or two for me? Please PM me if you'd like more information.

Best,

PBJ

Way back when Moby Dick was a minnow and I was roughnecking on natural gas rigs in Oklahoma, I spent a lot of time fishing. It used to puzzle me when I ducked behind a stand of trees or bushes to answer a call of nature, because it seemed like I always walked into a stand of wild tomatoes. For a while, I wondered why Oklahoma was arse-deep in wild tomatoes....

Eventually I figured it out. Tomato seeds need to be fermented to sprout successfully, and apparently a trip through a person's digestive system is a viable substitute. So finding a stand of wild tomatoes behind a convenient clump of trees or bushes was apparently just proof that I wasn't the only one who had ever found the location convenient....:D

I will be growing Cascade hops in New Orleans this year and can't wait to see how it goes. I am going to be grow some in all day sun and some in afternoon sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here in NC its hot and humid (not as hot as humid as LA) and Ive grown Cascade and Zeus successfully. I think it is more about how you plant and maintain the plants that really determines how most will grow (excluding crazy weather).

If you plant hops in crappy soil and let pests eat the leaves you will likely fail but if you plant them in good soil (monitoring ph, etc.), place them in a good location (in the sun most of the day), manage pests, and keep water in check you should be fine. Of course, you never know what the weather will do and since it rains alot in LA you will likely need a good water drainage plan.

So finding a stand of wild tomatoes behind a convenient clump of trees or bushes was apparently just proof that I wasn't the only one who had ever found the location convenient....:D

LOL!

You might be on to something!

Hey Myrtles, your in luck cause I've got the answers u need. Been growing hops in east feliciana for the last three years. It's no easy task keeping those things alive down here. I've tried like ten varieties and have only had luck with cascade and centennial however I've got some friends in New Orleans and baton rouge who have had luck with other varieties. I've got mine facing an eastern pasture where the sun kids blocked around 3pm protecting them from afternoon summer heat. Irrigate twice a day w drip lines. If your up there in st. Francisville you should be able to keep some alive. Location Location Location and water.

Cascade centennial nugget brewers gold. They do well. Just grow in raised beds due to the clay

How about in the Southwest? I've been debating if I should attempt it down here with our high heat and dry climate. Here in Las Cruces NM, temps reach as high as 110 in late July and early August.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have grown Cascade in Galveston county on Bolivar Peninsula...wind is a big factor. I am 900 ft from gulf, it don't get much more humid that this. Water them often. I also grow them at home in Little Rock, have been for 4 yrs. Just gotta take care of them.

I am growing Cascade and Centennial in Foley, Alabama. Will keep you posted.
I hope it turns out.
:mug:

Update from last year. I did a few things wrong.
Went to check my hops bed and found rotten rhizomes.
I either over watered, over fertilized or both.
Ordered more today.

I am growing cascade and chinook near Little Rock Arkansas. I built up mounds for them when I planted them last year and they are a couple inches tall already this year.

My first year Centennial plants took off like gangbusters in Mobile, AL and I'm about 10 miles from the coast. I planted on March 14th and one of them is already a foot and a half long so that I'll probably start training a bine by the end of this week.

One of my Centennial rhizomes did not sprout so I ordered 2 Magnum rhizomes as replacements as I heard they did well in all climates.

Time will tell when the real heat and humidity get here in June whether they continue to thrive but I think the innovative watering system using ollas I've developed is going to help a lot.

My plants seem to be doing pretty well. The first Centennial to sprout which was planted March 14th has grown several feet but the tip broke off about a week ago right when it got long enough to start growing up my twine. Some other shoots near the base are taking over though.

The leaves on this plant are also apparently being eaten by some critter so I sprayed everything with some Neem oil I got at Lowes. Any idea what might be doing this? I haven't seen any bugs on this plant and the second Centennial below has not been affected at all.
IMG_1226_zps5pmdhv4x.jpg

The other Centennial which came up later than the above has more than caught up with it and is at least a couple of feet long and growing up my twine.

IMG_1224_zpsxggq2ttp.jpg

I had a Centennial rhizome that never sprouted so a few weeks ago I dug it up and replaced it with some Magnum rhizomes and they are coming along pretty well, apparently establishing their root systems before growing upward too much.

IMG_1227_zpskjceizkq.jpg

As luck would have it, I put the Centennial that never sprouted in a flower pot and forgot about it but today when I took these pictures I noticed that it too, 27 days after I first planted it, had finally sprouted and was a couple inches tall so I guess I should have been more patient.

Planted my cascade and centennial a week ago. Cascade started sprouting within a few days and Centennial just recently started peeking up over the last two days:

Centennial: Day 7
17101975038_527177baeb_b.jpg

Cascade: Day 7
16669509223_839de84dca_b.jpg

Back