Hops haven't surfaced yet this year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynapse

Reaction score
Hey All,

I planted some new Cascade and Centennial hops last year, they grew extremely quickly and even produced some hops their first year. I cut the vines at the end of the season and didn't water them or anything.

These are in a couple big pots from Costco and I started watering them in March this year. I threw in some steer manure in April to get them some nutrients as well, but for some reason they have not shown up at all this year, they don't seem to be growing.

Anyone have any ideas what might have happened? Looking for some insights.

location?

I planted for the first time this year (north Jersey) and am only seeing the first bit of hops leaves on one or two of the bunch I planted over a month ago.

I'm quite surprised that nothing has come up from last year's planting. I'm in northern Wisconsin and even with 70 days of subzero temps and 2 feet of snow on the ground up until a month ago, my centennials I planted last year have all popped up.

I live in Long Beach, CA and the weather has been terrific here. I'm watering them a couple times a week, is that too little?

I would remove some soil and see if there is any life. Here in PA I had a few in half 55 plastic drums and the really long low temps this last winter made wet noodles out of them.

Im in MN and my hops froze out this year. Long cold ass winter and my hops were in pots. I mulched them with leaves and insulated the pots with leaves and mulch all the way around, but they still froze out. It was my first year hops and they are wasted now. Cascade centennial and williamette. Just wet mushy noodles is all that was left of the roots...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im in MN and my hops froze out this year. Long cold ass winter and my hops were in pots. I mulched them with leaves and insulated the pots with leaves and mulch all the way around, but they still froze out. It was my first year hops and they are wasted now. Cascade centennial and williamette. Just wet mushy noodles is all that was left of the roots...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a bummer. I was afraid that was going to be me after this never ending winter. I was going to mulch all my hops that were in the ground, but got lazy last fall and didn't do it. I seriously thought I was going to have to start from scratch this year, but my now second year centennials and fourth year cascades popped up like champs a few weeks back. I also had a few extra rhizomes last year that I ended up throwing in a five gallon planter that at the last minute I threw in a huge leaf pile and covered with a foot of leaves and hoped for the best. I was blown away when I uncovered it and found shoots coming up. All I can say is that my Cascades and Centennials have proven resilient.

Back