Hops Harvested too Late to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontum

Reaction score
I have several plants in their second year but didn't get a huge amount of hops. So I didn't want to worry about drying them and has planned to do a couple big wet hop brews. But I didn't get time and now the hops have are a yellow/green color and I am not sure if I can still use them.

When hops are harvested too late, do they impart bad flavor or just give less to the beer? I opened a couple up and they do not smell as pungent as they did a couple weeks ago. When are they a lost cause?

Thank you,
Craig

When the cones are overly brown and have an onion/garlic aroma they're past their prime. If you don't have any of those symptoms you should be good.

When the cones are overly brown and have an onion/garlic aroma they're past their prime. If you don't have any of those symptoms you should be good.

Thank you very much for the help. I went ahead and used as many of the hops as I felt comfortable. I picked out the cones that were a bit too brown and used the rest. I didn't get any onion/garlic aroma, so I think they should be okay. I brewed a strong IPA with Chinook, Cascade, and Mt Hood and used some 1968 to get things going.

-
Craig

I figured I'd piggyback here rather than create a new thread. First year crop here and I'm happy with the yield. I have heard it takes a few years before you get a lot, but I was surprised.

Anyway, life continued and I was unable to harvest before some started to dry out (see pic). I know most of these are still viable, but based on how they look alone, how do you seasoned growers decide which to discard?

Thanks,
Andy

hops.jpg

I'd use most of those... Little brown isn't bad... All brown I'd toss. I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion for all brown hops. Had a baby and missed my window for picking them.

. . . how do you seasoned growers decide which to discard?

Thanks,
Andy

Rip open one of the good looking ones, rub and sniff - then do the same with one of the ones in question and compare. Let your nose decide.

Latest posts

Back