Hops growing up close to a power pole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found the perfect spot to grow my hops. However the trellis is just a wire that runs up to a power pole. This wire is more than 20 feet long so it should be safe right?

Is it public or private? If I were harvesting them I would feel better knowing the power is off. Power lines can arc to you even if you don't touch them if the conditions are right.

You are correct it is just the support cable attached to the pole. The Hops shouldn't grow tall enough to reach the actual power line. I will put a picture up in a little bit

IMG_20160331_174541653.jpg

For the last three years my Chinook, Cascade and Centennials have reached the tops of their drop lines over 24' from ground and then run along the suspension wire for another ten feet.

Potential Darwin Award contender indeed ;)

Cheers!

[edit] Besides, there's a really good chance any passing electric company rep that sees hops crawling up a support line will pay you a visit...

Please don't do this.... In addition to the potential evolution trophy, most power companies regularly trim vegetation from their distribution assets.

All Darwin considerations aside. If you did choose to plant there I'd train the bines up the lower cable. The top line is power the lower lines are usually phone and cable. If it gets close you can cut the top bud( forgot the proper name) and it should stop growing. If you have the space, you might want to consider rigging something up yourself. You also run the risk of the utility company taking out your crops.

im out in the country they dont hit those poles much.. my calculation shows the lower wire is ~32 feet long.. the upper one is around 35 feet.

I guess ill just build a 2x2x1 box and dig me a hole to put it in then use 1x2x8 boards on each side of it and zig zag back and forth... doesnt sound as much fun.

I also assume you're going to throw an aluminum ladder up there come harvest time?

That's on the utility company right of way, I would find some where else to grow the hops. Like others have said, this is a Darwin award waiting to happen. Even though the guy lines are insulated from the pole, with the right or wrong conditions they could energize and you might not realize it until it's too late.

im working on a low profile trellis build now.. i will post an image of it before too long. But its basically a 2x2 box 12 inches tall and it has a 1x4x8 at each corner with another collar at the top. Then I will just have eyebolts and run my jute in a spiral fashion between the four corner pillars. I have seen images of it on the internet but now that im looking for one i cant find it.

Back