Hops growing in brazil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTrineto

Reaction score
Hey guys, im from Brazil and im trying to grow hops in my farm. I have 2 rhizomes of cascade 2 of brewers gold 2 of centenial. They growed a loto when i planted then but now they started to get yellow to brown and some bines died. They are well feeded whith a 20-20-20 and 8-46-9 for root growing, aplied once a week. They are well drained and with an auto irrigation system. Here in Brazil we are at the winter begin and temperatures are between 55f and 62f. When i look at rhizome base i see a lot of new shoots but they dont grow.

What im doing wrong? Is it the temperature? Should i prune them back to the soil? They will grow normaly in the end of the winter?

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Home Brew

When did you plant? have you already had a harvest? About how much did you water?

Her some pictures. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403188801.773863.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403189068.451231.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403189308.992246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403189308.992246.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 179
Ooops! I just realized I brought back to live a 2 year old post...

I had a rhizome in my back yard, full sun and auto drip irrigation and just now, after 2 months it finally has a little green shoot poking out of the ground. The others are doing very good.

It's winter, your rhizomes are "sleeping". They start growing again in spring. Hop vines die completely in the fall when temperatures get cold enough. The only thing that survives the winter is what's underground.

In your case, it seems that temperatures are not cold enough for the rhizomes to go into a full dormant state, so that would explain the vines dying and a few new shoots poking out of the ground but not growing because they don't get enough warmth during the day.

Try getting the to go fully dormant. Cover them up with a material that will completely block light, maybe a small bucket (upside down) over each one of them. Then lift the buckets every 2 or 3 days to add a bunch of ice over the rhizomes and cover them again. Do this until you start seeing local vegetation start to bud in the spring. At that time, stop the icing and take the buckets away. They'll start growing shortly after.

This would work for your 6 rhizomes. Since you're in a farm, I'm assuming you'll eventually propagate them. At that point, it'll be difficult to do the ice thing once you have more than 10 plants.

If you want to cultivate them, in any significant volume, you might want to relocate to Parana' or even Rio Grande do Sul where the winter weather is a better match for growing hops.

I'm from Sao Paulo, by the way.

-Mario

I planted in march, end. of summer begin of autumn, this is my frist months of growth, but since may begin it stoped grow.
The side arms didint grow so i dont have any harvest.
My soil PH is 6.1 and im using a half gallon of Walter/ day and my soil is moisted.

I planted in march, end. of summer begin of autumn, this is my frist months of growth, but since may begin it stoped grow.
The side arms didint grow so i dont have any harvest.
My soil PH is 6.1 and im using a half gallon of Walter/ day and my soil is moisted.

Ok, now 1week at the refrigerator 39 f (one day at 10f a huge mistake) 1 week at 29 and rhizomes are back to the soil cause the temperatura here is 76 f.
My doubt is why mu rhizomes are dark brown and why they are a little sagte? What i need to do? Please help me.

Latest posts

Back