Hops did not drop during dry hopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delpo

Reaction score
Put 2 oz of leaf hops into my IPA at the end of primary for my first attempt at dry hopping. Did not rack the beer. Lo and behold, two weeks later, when I am ready to bottle most of the hops were still floating at the top. Any ideas on why? Should I have stirred them in when I put them in? Should I have stirred during dry hopping? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Put them in a weigheted hop sack next time if you are going to put them in the primary. In a carboy, the sack is hard to get out at the end, so I just put them in and make sure I started with enough to completely fill the carboy, forcing them into solution.

Some will float, some will sink. Leaf hops tend to float a lot more than pellets.

I would not worry much - just try to siphon as little of the hops as possible.

Cheers,
Brad

if the hops don't all sink, do you recommend stirring them around a little bit before bottling, or will racking to the bottling bucket suffice to get the hop flavor mixed through the beer.

if the hops don't all sink, do you recommend stirring them around a little bit before bottling, or will racking to the bottling bucket suffice to get the hop flavor mixed through the beer.

I would not stir the hops around before racking to the bottling bucket as that will just increase the amount of unwanted material that makes it into your bottles.

The hop aroma will diffuse through all the beer whether the hops are floating on the top, sitting on the bottom, or submerged in a bag. When I dry hop with leaf hops, I simply drop them in and slosh the beer around just enough to get all the hops wet. Then I leave it alone for 2 weeks. I get a lot of hop aroma in my beers this way.

...When I dry hop with leaf hops, I simply drop them in and slosh the beer around just enough to get all the hops wet. Then I leave it alone for 2 weeks. I get a lot of hop aroma in my beers this way.

Same here. I might slosh mine slightly for the first 3-4 days...just enough to wet the hops but not enough to suds the beer.

Floating or sinking, as long as the hops are saturated...they'll leave their mark. :D

+1 - toss them in and let them float. Never had a problem. Rack between the hops and trub. Small filter on the end of cane, cheesecloth works well to keep most of the material out.

I am in the same boat. I am dry hopping my first time with leaf hops and they did not drop either. I asked on here and was told they would, but they didn't. I did slosh around a bit to wet them. I will rack it and bottle this later this week.

The beer does smell great though.

Latest posts

Back