Hops and Sunlight questions. (skunking)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderwig

Reaction score
Today I brewed in front of my garage, where the sun shines, instead of my regular place on the back porch in the shade. I know that bottles or glasses of beer in sunlight skunk very rapidly, and that thought led me to question a few things that I hadn't thought of.

1. I separate my hop additions into bowls with a piece of paper for the time of the addition, if the sun shines on these, will it ruin the bittering properties of the hops, or negatively affect them in some other way?

2. If the sun is shining in the top of the boil kettle, will that skunk the beer, or is it only with the finished product?

I know that these seem like some off the wall questions, but now that they have crossed my mind, I can't let it go, help me!:cross:

I'm sure there's other people who can answer your questions better than I can, but I think it's a safe bet that for either scenario, prolonged exposure would be required for any skunking to a occur. By prolonged, I mean like 12-18+ hours.

EinGutesBier said:
I'm sure there's other people who can answer your questions better than I can, but I think it's a safe bet that for either scenario, prolonged exposure would be required for any skunking to a occur. By prolonged, I mean like 12-18+ hours.

Actually in glass bottles it can happen in 12-15 minutes...the guys at basicbrewing.com conducted an experiment on one of their video podcasts.

I don't think skunking would be much of an issue in the boiling wort phase...I don't know for sure, but if it were a big issue, there would be a lot of discussion on the various forums, and honestly you're the first who's ever brought it up...

I wish I could find my reference (can't locate it for the life of me), but it turns out that skunking will only happen once the fermentation process has begun. The chemical compounds that react with light are actually a product of the fermentation process. So wort and hops are ok in the sunlight (for short periods of time, of course).

Revvy said:
Actually in glass bottles it can happen in 12-15 minutes...the guys at basicbrewing.com conducted an experiment on one of their video podcasts.
Wow. I never would've guessed. But like everyone else said, I'm sure it's dependent on whether the we're talking about the final, fermented product.

Thanks for the replies. I kept the sunlight exposure as minimal as possible. I wasn't THAT worried about it, but the wondering got to me and I couldn't resist asking.

FlyGuy said:
I wish I could find my reference (can't locate it for the life of me), but it turns out that skunking will only happen once the fermentation process has begun. The chemical compounds that react with light are actually a product of the fermentation process. So wort and hops are ok in the sunlight (for short periods of time, of course).

I'll have to look into this some more and see under what conditions does skunking occur.

EinGutesBier said:
Wow. I never would've guessed. But like everyone else said, I'm sure it's dependent on whether the we're talking about the final, fermented product.

I just watched the vid-- pretty interesting. The only thing I have to say about it is that they concluded that their control beer had become more skunky in the 10 minutes they were outside only after they tasted some they had left in the sun for 45 minutes or more. They're pallets may have been tainted.

In conclusion, I'm sure you're fine.

Yeah post ferment, that's when you gotta watch. Of course I'll have to tell my 'this past year's july 4th Hefe story'. It was a bright sunny day this 4th. I was out grilling and had poured my brother and myself a nice Hefe. I had the glass sitting there in the sun. It wasn't a few minutes and I picked it up and 'whoa' the skunk! It can happen very fast.

Back