Hops and schedule for upcoming IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a nice IPA with a large amount of late addition hops. Basically I want huge hop flavor, specifically grapefruit/orange/citrus. The usual suspects like Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo are already in the running. I want to see if you guys and girls have any other suggestions as far as hops that will suit my needs. In addition I would like input on the timing and amounts to achieve my goal. Below is the preposed grainbill:

11lbs 2-row
2lbs Vienna
0.5lbs Crystal 60

I plan on using either Nottingham or US-05 for the yeast. Thanks for any help!:mug:

Don't over complicate it by using 10 different hops. I say start with three and then go from there. Otherwise you'll get too many flavors and it will be a muddled mess

Ok, I've settled on Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade, and Ahtanum. Heavy late hop additions (7.5 oz from 20-5 min) should get me the citrus flavor I'm after with enough piney dankness to offset the citrus and keep things interesting.

Also I've eliminated the crystal in favor of a pound of wheat malt for head retention and a pound of table sugar (added after fermentation slows) to encourage attenuation. I want this one nice and dry.

YMMV, but I haven't had much luck with sugar in my IPAs. I think since you're taking out the crystal it will be dry enough

Ok, so after weeks of internal debate and much research I have revised my recipe. New plan is as follows.

OG= 1.069
IBU= 76.7
SRM= 6.3
Eff= 72%

10lbs Crisp pale malt
3lbs Weyermann Vienna
1lbs Breiss White Wheat Malt
0.5 oz Chinook (11.6 AA) 60 min
1.5 oz Simcoe (12.2AA) 20 min
1.0 oz Chinook (11.6 AA) 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade (6.4AA) 10 min
0.5 oz Chinook dry hop
0.5 oz Simcoe dry hop
0.5 oz Cascade dry hop
0.5 Whirlfloc added at 10 min
2 packages US-05 or S-04 (haven't decided on this yet, will pitch as per Mr.Malty instructions)

How's it look? I have two ounces of amarillo (7.2 AA) I could add to the mix somewhere but I don't know if that would over-complicate the hop flavor. I really want this to be the best IPA with the most hop flavor I've ever brewed so any input is definitely welcome.

More at 60 min. I just started drinking my ipa and I wish I had more of a buttering charge in it and I did an ounce at 60 with a tone of late/dry hops.

This is my latest and I'm doing it again in 3-4 weeks. We have some similarities. Mine came in at 79IBU's (Rager) and was just right. I wouldn't go any lower than 1oz Chinook at 60 min:

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Can (2.7 SRM) 56.00 %
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) 40.00 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 4.00 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.80 %] (60 min) 51.7 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette [6.40 %] (20 min) 8.5 IBU
1.33 oz Willamette [4.70 %] (15 min) 6.6 IBU
0.67 oz Palisade [8.50 %] (15 min) 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [8.50 %] (10 min) 3.4 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [8.50 %] (5 min) 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [8.50 %] (0 min)
2.00 oz Simcoe [11.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1 Pkgs American Ale II (WL #1272)

Well, I suppose I could move the half ounce of chinook out of the dry hop and into the 60 min addition. That would be a full ounce of chinook to bitter and bump the IBUs to 93 according to beersmith. Sounds like it should be good. I don't think a one ounce dry hop is enough so I guess I will swing by the LHBS and pick up more hops this week.

Well, I suppose I could move the half ounce of chinook out of the dry hop and into the 60 min addition. That would be a full ounce of chinook to bitter and bump the IBUs to 93 according to beersmith. Sounds like it should be good. I don't think a one ounce dry hop is enough so I guess I will swing by the LHBS and pick up more hops this week.
Consider moving .5oz of the Chinook @15min and replacing it with the Amarillo you have...

Revised again! The chinook ended up going to another brew, so the new and improved (hopefully) version looks like this:

Expected OG: 1.071
IBUs: ~103

10lbs Weyermann pale malt
3lbs Weyermann vienna
1lb Weyermann wheat malt
4oz Breiss C60

.75oz Colombus (12.5aa) FWH
1.25oz Colombus (12.5aa) 60 min
1.0oz Simcoe (12.2aa) 20 min
1.0oz Centennial (8.1aa)15 min
1.0oz Ahtanum (5.2aa) 10 min
1.0oz Centennial dry-hop 7 days
1.0oz Ahtanum dry-hop 7 days

14 grams US-05

Thoughts?

Alright, mashing as I type this. I ended up with 10lbs pale malt, 3lbs vienna, 1.5lbs wheat. The hops got changed around a bit too.

1oz Colombus @ 60 (12.5%aa)
0.75oz Simcoe @ 15 (12.2%aa)
0.75oz Centennial @ 15 (8.1%aa)
0.75oz Simcoe @ 10
0.75oz Centennial @ 10
0.50oz Simcoe @ 5
0.50oz Centennial @ 5

76 IBUs. So far the wort smells awesome, should start the sparge in the next 20 minutes. Hope this works out, wish me luck!

Alright, mashing as I type this. I ended up with 10lbs pale malt, 3lbs vienna, 1.5lbs wheat. The hops got changed around a bit too.

0.75oz Simcoe @ 10
0.75oz Centennial @ 10
0.50oz Simcoe @ 5
0.50oz Centennial @ 5

76 IBUs. So far the wort smells awesome, should start the sparge in the next 20 minutes. Hope this works out, wish me luck!

I like it! I love the play of centennial and simcoe together.

KraphtBier said:

0.75oz Simcoe @ 10
0.75oz Centennial @ 10
0.50oz Simcoe @ 5
0.50oz Centennial @ 5

No dryhop? The recipe looks good to me.

Actually, there will be a three ounce dry hop. I got a wild hair in my ass and added an ounce of Ahtanum (5.2%aa) at flame-out. Measured original gravity was 1.074. I plan on dry hopping with an ounce each of Simcoe, Centennial, and Ahtanum after transferring to secondary in a week or so. The post-boil gravity sample tasted delicious! It was definitely a good brew day.

KraphtBier said:
Actually, there will be a three ounce dry hop. I got a wild hair in my ass and added an ounce of Ahtanum (5.2%aa) at flame-out. Measured original gravity was 1.074. I plan on dry hopping with an ounce each of Simcoe, Centennial, and Ahtanum after transferring to secondary in a week or so. The post-boil gravity sample tasted delicious! It was definitely a good brew day.

Sounds good.

Forgot how cold the weather turned last night and didn't heat my ferm cabinet. Temps this morning were 48 degrees :eek:. I've got a space heater in there now trying to warm things up a bit and get the yeast going. Hopefully it starts up for me today and I can quit worrying about shocking the yeast and potential off flavors.

Fermentation is proceeding. Kept the temps (ambient) between 57-59 for a few days and I've got some serious krausen. Bumping the temps up a degree or two a day since yesterday till I hit 68-69 to encourage attenuation. I'll probably let this one ride another week and then transfer to secondary for dry-hop.

Racked to secondary and dry hopped with an ounce each of centennial and ahtanum. Smells hoppy and hopefully it will taste delicious. Had a Southern Tier 2x IPA to celebrate. :ban:

Just my two cents, but I did an IPA with all Zythos (blend) hops and it turned out incredible. Can't remember the total amounts but did some FWH, 60 min, 15, 10, 5, 0 and then dry hopped with about 3 oz. Aroma and flavor was through the roof. I'll be making it again here in a couple weeks, and think I will bump up the bittering as it was somewhat lacking there.

Opened a bottle today after a week and a day worth of bottle conditioning. WOW, this is really really good! The only thing I would change would be upping the dry hop by an ounce for just a tad bit more hop aroma. Seriously though, this is the best beer I have ever made. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and helped me craft a homebrew that I truly love.

Latest posts

Back