Hops Alpha Acid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puroman

Reaction score
So I was deciding on what to brew next. I decided I would give this Stone Ruination Clone recipe a shot. Its out of Brew Your Own magazine. The recipe calls for Magnum Hops with a 16 % Alpha Acid rating. So, off to the home brew shop and I pick up the Magnum Hops. I get home and notice that the hops I picked up have a 12.3 % Alpha Acid rating. So, now what? is my question to you guys. Will the difference be a big deal? Can I just increase the amount of pellets I use or what? T.I.A.

So I was deciding on what to brew next. I decided I would give this Stone Ruination Clone recipe a shot. Its out of Brew Your Own magazine. The recipe calls for Magnum Hops with a 16 % Alpha Acid rating. So, off to the home brew shop and I pick up the Magnum Hops. I get home and notice that the hops I picked up have a 12.3 % Alpha Acid rating. So, now what? is my question to you guys. Will the difference be a big deal? Can I just increase the amount of pellets I use or what? T.I.A.

Sure, just increase them at bittering to get the same IBUs. You don't need to increase the other hops at 15/5/0/etc, though.

Weird. Most Magnum are not 16 in my experience.

What was the IBU called for in the recipe? It's really just a straight multiplication. Since 16 is 1.3 x 12.3, your multiplier is 1.3. If it calls for 1 oz, use 1.3. If it calls for half ounce, use 0.65 oz, etc.

Back